ArtistX live free audio,2D , 3D graphics, and video software for the GNU/Linux.

Started by Kadri, December 22, 2009, 11:08:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBlackHole

Quote from: pfrancke on December 22, 2009, 08:24:47 PM
And then you'll be able to give us all those really cool free objects we all want - <grin>.
I can probably do those with Anim8or. I still need a 3DS to LWO or OBJ converter with an interface designed for the inhabitants of Earth. Anyone have any idea?
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

TheBlackHole

Aaaaaaaggghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! Where the **** are any that I can actually use?! PoseRay needs a resoution of at least 1024x768 but I can only use 800x600!! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( :'( :'( :'( Aaaaahhhhhh! **** that monitor! I hate it!
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

TheBlackHole

Fixed. I had to switch a couple of heavy CRT's around. It was heavy but I had some help. The old monitor is now under my loftbed and the new one is now on my desk. The new one supports incredible resolutions like 1600x1200. It's now at the max Windows supports and it looks cool. Then again, the "cool" factor is probably because of the Vista theme I installed. The pretty look of Vista combined with the greatness of XP without the security crap of Vista.  ;D

efflux

I use Ubuntu. It's the most popular distribution so always easy to find out how to do things. I do audio which needs an RT Kernel but this is easy to add. Best to use the standard Ubuntu then add whatever apps you want. I think that is better than going with some multimedia distribution that far fewer people are using. The latest Ubuntu is better than ever. Very cool.

Linux may be a bit of hassle to begin with but any new OS would be. It gets easier all the time. In fact easier than starting on Windows or Mac in my opinion. Once you get used to Linux you feel like tearing you hair out in frustration when forced to use Windows for any reason.

Basic apps I use are:

Ardour
ZynAddSubFX
Gimp
Inkscape
Lightzone
3D Coat

I also have Blender and Luxrender installed but haven't done much with those.

There are of course thousands of free apps.

Also, this is a fantastic app I recently started using:

http://mypaint.intilinux.com/

It is very simple but very well designed. Absolutely no unnecessary UI or bloat. The main reason I love it is because of it's tremendous efficiency, meaning I can use it on my little slate PC without any major lags. As far as I am concerned, Windows and Mac apps are fast becoming a serious joke in terms of speed and efficiency.

Here is a video of someone using Mypaint, Gimp and another very cool app called Alchemy. This guy is doing the concept art for the new Blender movie:

http://www.davidrevoy.com/?article24/

I recently created a load of brushes for Mypaint. I should eventually put them on the Mypaint forum. Although you can't create bitmap brushes, like in Gimp (or Photoshop), you can endlessly tweak with the procedural brush effects. A Wacom tablet or tablet PC is essential for this app.

Kadri

Thanks for your thoughts about this Efflux. I didn't think about using the standard Ubuntu . But what you said make sense.

Kadri.