How to use textures?

Started by Aenea, February 17, 2007, 06:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aenea

Okay...the next challenge....

I browsed the forum but haven´t found a proper thread for this simple, silly question....

I started a new heightfield....just the normal unspectacular one.
Then I added a surface layer.
To this surface layer I added a default shader as child layer.
I put an image in the colour slot and changed the view in images to "through camera".

It worked fine.

Well, now I have a picture in work, where several more Surface layers are added. And now I wanted to add a default shader the same way to one of the surface layers...but this didn´t work.
Does anyone know why??? I´m abit confused.

I added both examples...the working one and the "problematic file"....maybe someone can take a look at it???
I post the second files in a separate post....

Thanks a bunch!!!!!

Aenea

Aenea

the problem file....
the tgd and second the terrain file

Will

I'm rendering right now but if no one can get you help by the time it finishes I'll give you a hand :)

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Aenea

That´d be very kind......

I can wait till Sunday...cause it´s almost "bedtime" *lol*....so no hurry

thanks!

Aenea

Will

ok i'm looking into it for you :)

Regards,

Will

DeathTwister

Hahaha, well I think first off you are using one of my free textures at http://texturesource.org and I believe I uoploaded that at 1024X1024 size right? I kinda forget as it's been a bit.  OK, here is how you get it to work.
1. Bring it in as a shader image like you started to, then go to your panel and change view from camera  to Projection Type: Plan Y {edges=XZ}
2. Check the center position and make sure under the size that you have your graphic image size in there.
3. then go to the repeat tab and check the repeat X, and repeat Y, and then your done, unless that is not all you are trying to do. But if you want more control of the texture go to under Blend by shader go and select create new shader/Colour shader/Distribution shader V4 02.  That will give you slope, height and so on, make sure you have that checked to have it work right.

I think that should help you, and if you need other info on Texturing, I just finished a post that I needed help on a different kind of Texture problem and between the 2 you should be good to go now. /smiles.....
Maylock Aromy DeathTwister Stansbury
ATOMIX Productions

Will

heh nice, you certinally know you textures man :)
I tried all those things but never all at once.
Regards,

Will

DeathTwister

Side note on that texture.  I think I did not seamless tile it, so you should go and get Brick' N Tiles a FREE program to seamless tile textures and graphic's, or bump the size (Use DPI) not size in photo shop to the size that covers the terrain and stretch it out with no tiling, I use 4096X4096 size when doing that and not tiling it.

DeathTwister
Maylock Aromy DeathTwister Stansbury
ATOMIX Productions

Aenea

Thanks a lot for the suggestions.....it finally worked.

I couldn´t make the image map shader work under a specific shader (I wanted to put an image map shader on my rock shader).
So I clicked "add surface layer" - SURFACE SHADER, chose image map shader.

I restricted the image with a distribution shader to the rock layer I made....worked fine. It looks quite nice, even if the mountains are a bit in distance.

To put back the snow on it however was a bit tricky .... but nothing a distribution shader in the right place can´s solve  ;D

Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!!!

Aenea

twistednoodle

Ok so when using a texture you should use a nice big one and can I ask what format?  I've been trying to put a .bmp and TG2 crashes everytime.......  so what should we use?  .jpeg, .tiff or .bmp or other! LOL  ::)
I may be crazy but at least I'm not crazy!

old_blaggard

TG2 currently doesn't like big textures very much right now.  You could try feeding it in a more compressed format, but I'm guessing that when TG2 imports it internally it will still take up just as much space.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Aenea

I worked with jpg-images with a size of 1000x1000 / 4000x4000.
As my mountains are pretty far it gives them the touch of the texture but I can´t see it in detail, so it doesn´t matter too much to me....

But I made a few closeups for testing, and there the textures turned out pretty nice and working....
So I don´t see a problem in useing the smaller sizes at the beginning while your still testing what works and what not....

Aenea

twistednoodle

I may be crazy but at least I'm not crazy!