Camera scripts?

Started by Brass, February 18, 2007, 12:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brass

Hey guys, new to the forums and new to Terragen 2.  I've been working on scene in which a camera comes in from outer space and flies around the island of Kauai.  Most of the time has been dealing with the environment but I wanted to start working on the actual motion since I've run into a few snags with water and I don't have the art assets I'll need yet.

The program I used to use with Terragen was Terranim, and so I setup a quick test camera path with that to do as a test with TG2.  However, when trying to load the script it gives me errors saying that Maya.mov is expected in different formats and other script errors depending on how I try to load it.

Doing a quick search on the forum I found mention of CamPath, a program I had attempted to use before, but my terrain does not work properly with CamPath 3.xx and I couldn't get 4.xx to do anything really.

Is there a way to get Terranim to work with TG2, do I have to use Maya?  I did do a short animation by manually adjusting camera params, but as my final animation will have thousands of frames, this is not an option.

Any help is much appreciated, I apologize if these questions have been asked before, but I could not find the answers.

old_blaggard

I haven't read through this all that carefully myself, but there is some useful info:
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=782.msg6933#msg6933
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Oshyan

Terranim and Campath are not currently compatible with Terragen 2. Terragen 2 does include built-in animation capabilities for setting keyframes, path interpolation, etc. but controls are a bit clunky and limited at present. You also need the Deep + Animation version to access the animation functions. In the future we will be implementing much better animation controls, more interpolation algorithms, etc. For now many people are using external applications to create motion paths due to the greater control.

- Oshyan

Dark Fire

Quote from: Oshyan on February 18, 2007, 03:47:31 PM
Terranim and Campath are not currently compatible with Terragen 2. Terragen 2 does include built-in animation capabilities for setting keyframes, path interpolation, etc. but controls are a bit clunky and limited at present. You also need the Deep + Animation version to access the animation functions. In the future we will be implementing much better animation controls, more interpolation algorithms, etc. For now many people are using external applications to create motion paths due to the greater control.

- Oshyan
What are these 'external applications'? Are they free?

Oshyan

When I refer to "external applications" there a wide variety of possibilities, none of which are free as far as I know. Anything from database applications like Filemaker Pro to spreadsheet applications like Excel to high-end 3D applications like Maya. The methods differ greatly for each, of course.

- Oshyan

Dark Fire

OK. Thanks. I'll have a look at those programs...