Sparkle

Started by dandelO, December 27, 2009, 04:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

domdib

Great sparkles Dune!

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Hannes on December 29, 2009, 05:06:43 AM
Yes, that's pretty close. I agree that the sparkles should be a little bit smaller, but imho they should not be less bright.

On second thought, you might be right.

dandelO

Aye, this looks nice now. I have about five different .tgd's on different methods now and I can manage to get similar results, with luminosity laid over the snow, or child-layered.

I can't do it with proper specular methods, making actual refracted highlights on the snow. Are these actual reflections? If so, pray show! ;)

It's frustrating but this is how I'd go now, too, with luminosity. If that's what it is...

Cheers for coming in, Dune, you always have great input.

Dune

I'll have another go at the sparkles today (or tomorrow), and explain how I did it. Fresh snow has fallen tonight, so plenty of reference...

Oshyan

The black outlines without Bloom are caused by the AA filter. Use a different filter and you won't need AA bloom.

- Oshyan

Dune

My sparkles work quite nicely, I think, although the snowscape can be better. No sparkles in shadowed areas. This was done at detail 0.5 and AA 4, GI 2/2/8, one low bluish fill light (strength 0.4) near the camera/opposite the sun, no whatsoever.
I was thinking of trading this at NWDA, but on the other hand, here's a tgc (snowy surface layer + sparkles).

---Dune

Henry Blewer

Very impressive. I had to download this one! Looks like the real stuff. Get out the snow shovels! ;D
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

dandelO

QuoteI was thinking of trading this at NWDA

This is what I'm thinking for my Ice Cream shader, too, got some nice ideas for snow-piling etc. For the moment, I wouldn't even show this disgrace to you lot, until it's really tidied up and universally compatible with any default scene, in general ;)

I was considering updating the ol' public library files to 2.1 standards for this purpose but I'd feel like a charlatan selling these, you can do what you like with those. I've already given their basis away for free. I've decided: I'll never sell anything I've given away for free before, it wouldn't be right.
I don't think I'll update the library into specific volumes again, either.
Anything else I have to add to dandelO's Public Library(and there will still be lots in the future) will still be posted to this link... http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=4922.0
There are also still some items in there that aren't in my library packs so far, too.

rcallicotte

This image is amazing and the results are beautiful.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Dune

I agree with your words about selling stuff, Dandel0,that's why I decided not to put this at NWDA. IMO it's 'not right' to sell ideas that partly consist of ideas that others have dreamed up. Perhaps in a totally different setup, but still... Like, I cannot put this 'fake-stone-sparkle.tgc' into TU's snow, and sell it. Everyone can do as he/she likes, but I would not feel totally good about it.

FrankB

Hi guys,

you can still put this up on NWDA CS for a 0 price. I would actually recommend doing it. The structure in the shop will make it easier for future users in search for such a preset to locate what they need. Please help making NWDA CS a useful place full of useful presets - free or fee, you always have that choice.

Thanks,
Frank

Dune

That may be a good idea, but aren't you afraid that your site will be swamped by ideas (and half-ideas)?

Dune

Another example of my fake-stone-crystals. The original was too big to upload, so here's a crop. Although the crystals are not as shiny as I wanted them to be, so I'll have another look at it.

FrankB

Quote from: Dune on January 02, 2010, 02:52:54 AM
That may be a good idea, but aren't you afraid that your site will be swamped by ideas (and half-ideas)?

That might happen, but there are two ways to keep this under control. On the one side, we have a top list, so people can see what others have bought or downloaded most often, and secondly, I rely on user feedback about the quality. You can rate each and every product, and in the future I will also find a way to sort by rating.
As a last resort, products will be removed if they fail to provide a minimum quality, or are not functionable - in which case the creator can continue to improve its quality and then upload again.

Regards,
Frank