forest tree populations

Started by Thejazzshadow, January 02, 2010, 02:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thejazzshadow

I was wondering... If I wanted to make two dense populations in the same area (for example pine trees and oak trees) will I run into problems of objects overlapping each other? If so... how do I get around this problem?

Henry Blewer

I have not had difficulty with this, but it takes some tweaking to get them to work. I hit random and play with the spacing until they work.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

TheBlackHole

You might get some overlap. It only really matters when you're on the ground or just above the trees. From an airplane-type or reentering-spaceship-type POV it doesn't matter; you'll just see the tops and it doesn't matter whether or not the trunks or branches overlap.
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

dandelO

Try using the invert of the first population's blend shader for the second population. :)

Walli

real trees also overlap and sometimes "share" the tree crown - so thats usually not a real problem unless you get that close, so that you can really see intersecting geometry like branches growing through the trunk of the neigbour for example.
At the beginning I also often tried to avoid overlapping plants and intersecting geomtry - but actually the result you get looks worse in most cases, to regular.