DEM Importing for Terrain

Started by DHissemCARTOGIS, January 14, 2010, 11:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DHissemCARTOGIS

OK first off hello all... I'm extremely new to Terragen 2 and heard that it can do some fantastic terrain models from DEM's... OK great to know... but how would you do it?  I've been playing with some tutorials and even the hands on... push buttons till something happens... but getting nowhere fast ... I even got my GlobalMapper out to try and export the DEM into something that is useful to Terragen... I exported as a .ter file, is this wrong of should I have gone GeoTIFF?  Help is greatly appreciated, this isn't my good ol' ArcGIS...

Darrryl

himalofa

You seem to be on the right track. Take the .ter file from the outpus of GM, import it into TG2 with "add terrain" load, move the camera to a suitable position and render. Good luck.

DHissemCARTOGIS

Funny how it works, I have done all that so far himalofa but still giving me a flat terrain, I have an escarpment at over 400 metres high cutting the area but not showing up in T2 but a flat map

RArcher

DHissemCARTOGIS

Awesome RArcher will do and let ya know the reason... thanks  ;D

Oshyan

The TER format will not give you georeferencing, but otherwise it is best as it's TG's native format. If you need georeferencing, GeoTIFF would be best.

When you load the terrain, you should see a bounding box defining its edges in the 3D Preview in white. If you don't, your camera may be positioned in the wrong place to see it, or if using georeferencing then it may be positioned elsewhere on the planet. If you do see the terrain bounding box in your view, it may be either A: your camera is too high to see the terrain features or B: the features have somehow lost their height scale and need to be scaled up, which you would do with a Heightfield Adjust Vertical.

A screenshot of your 3D preview after loading the terrain might help diagnose further.

- Oshyan