Thinking of buying world machine 2

Started by Jack, January 11, 2010, 07:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt

Quote from: latego on January 16, 2010, 05:12:11 AM
P.S.: TG2 IS a terrain generator: create the node network, and export the result as TER file (I am fascinated by TG2 erosion engine).

If you have done any more experiments with TG2's heightfield erosion operator I'd love to see them.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

FrankB

dito.

I have worked with the various heightfield erosions a few days long just recently, but had no success in making believable erosion with it, at least not on a 2000m tall, relativel steep mountain.
If you have good advice for that, I'd love to see it.

Thanks,
Frank

nikita

Quote from: EoinArmstrong on January 16, 2010, 02:45:38 AMMy main worry is that if I select 4 threads in Terragen, even surfing becomes a hassle.  I would expect that, though - all cores are busy on an intensive process.  However, in WM I can see little degredation in system performance.  Perhaps it's because the programs use memory differently? *shrug*

WM uses a low-priority build thread by default. You can change that in the Preferences.
You can also make TG2 low-priority by right-clicking the process tgd.exe in the task manager, > Set priority > Below Normal.

Maybe I'll look into those performance issues with erosion later. The speedup should really be more than 22% when using 4 threads. (provided you do have a quadcore machine)

EDIT: I could not reproduce this. I'm getting a speedup of about 250%. Can you upload a sample file in the WM forums?

cyphyr

Just added it to my arsenal :)
I went for the pro version pretty much entirely for the multi threaded support.
Looking forward to something more than a test drive.
:)
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)