yet another snow scene

Started by Kevin F, January 13, 2010, 04:16:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin F

Here's another winter inspired scene.
Trees from Xfrog with added frosting,
and rough tufty grass by Mr_Lamppost and available from terragen.org (again modified to look snowy).

C&C welcome

inkydigit

very nice scene, snow seems a bit 'yellowish' though?...could be atmo/gi affecting this?...that being said...awesome trees and details!

Kevin F

Quote from: inkydigit on January 13, 2010, 06:47:07 AM
very nice scene, snow seems a bit 'yellowish' though?...could be atmo/gi affecting this?...that being said...awesome trees and details!

Don't eat the yellow snow! ;D

The lighting is low angled and might need tweaking.

Henry Blewer

Watch out where the huskies go.

The frosting on the trees looks good. I think a small population of grass sticking up above the snow may look good in places.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Dune

Dreamed I was an eskimo...

I'd say that the snow fractals should be a little softer (larger size, less wild), but it's a nice POV and I do like the trees.

Redwolf

nice snow, the bit on top of the bare land looks like it could be used like a frozen waterfall

Kadri

This looks good , Kevin .
With the suggestions here made and a little different pov this would look better as it is in my opinion .

Kadri.

Kevin F

Here's what I'm considering the final version from this POV.
@Dune Can't easily change the snow fractal to be softer because of the displacement method (it would have to be done in the terrain, and that changes everything too much), so I've gone for turning the snow into very icy snow, which I think works fine).
As a side effect when making this I've come across a method for placing snow on top of fake stones which looks really cool. Need to experiment a little more here.
This POV is ok for me but there are lots of others I want to explore plus different lighting effects.
Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated.

thanks also in this version to TerrAde for the snowy fence,

EoinArmstrong

yeah - the lighting and colouration in this one is a little better - nice pic!

Kadri

Just curious , can you change the part from no snow to snow that it is a little softer . Or make the snow hight a little smaller ?
It is a abrupt change in hight (couldn't say it exactly as i want . I hope it is clear what i say.) .

I like this pov better :)

Cheers.

Kadri.

Kevin F

Quote from: Kadri on January 14, 2010, 03:57:54 PM
Just curious , can you change the part from no snow to snow that it is a little softer . Or make the snow hight a little smaller ?
It is a abrupt change in hight (couldn't say it exactly as i want . I hope it is clear what i say.) .

Yes it is possible by reducing the displacement, but it's the way I want it.

I like this pov better :)

Ermm. it's the same as the original!

Cheers.

Kadri.

Kadri

Most of the time i say Pov . But here i mean composition (i don't know if this is fully right either) .
The trees on the left are different and that makes the feel of the image better . " The pov is better " is easier to say  ;D

Cheers.

Kadri.

inkydigit

Quote from: Kadri on January 14, 2010, 05:27:08 PM
Most of the time i say Pov . But here i mean composition (i don't know if this is fully right either) .
The trees on the left are different and that makes the feel of the image better . " The pov is better " is easier to say  ;D

Cheers.

Kadri.
or comp'...?
:)