Terragen 2 vs Vue 8 xStream

Started by MGebhart, January 14, 2010, 02:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack

Quote from: njeneb on January 15, 2010, 01:45:45 AM
That is really bizarre. Hundreds of dollars for support? I thought Dell was expensive!

Thanks to Planetside for being a great bunch of guys! We don't let you know how much you and your programs are appreciated enough.

Not just Planetside the nwda guys and all the other terrasperts everyone here helps each other out and we share different ideas and tips to help improve our skills. Forums have a tendency over time to become abit clicky but ps forums is very welcoming to newbies and beginners its just brilliant^^ this must be one of the best software support forums in the world and its thanks not only to the amazing planetside guys but to everyone here who keeps this forum rolling^^  i wouldn't be half the artist I am Now If not for the great tips ideas crits and encouragement of the Planetside community you guys rock!
My terragen gallery:
http://wetbanana.deviantart.com/

Dune

Indeed! Even if Vue would be much better, I wouldn't abandon this close-knit Terragen family. 

MGebhart

Marc Gebhart

Hetzen

I'd certainly be interested. We've constantly been fleaced by Eon over the years, and the latest fiasco of having to buy brand new render cows for the farm from 7.5 to 8, even when the 7.5 ones didn't work has pretty much been the straw that broke the camel's back. We're now playing with the combination of TG and V-ray scatter, which we're still ironing out the workflow, but seems way more stable.

Hannes

I wouldn't move to Vue either, but comparing the apps would be a nice inspiration. When TG was new, it was really great, but when it came to vegetation, I always envied Vue users.
Look at TG images now!
It may sound silly, but it's always a challenge for me seeing Vue images and then figuring out how this can be done in TG.

Thanks to this wonderful community and of course to the makers!!! Everyone is learning from others helping to mature this fantastic piece of software.

domdib

So, Marc, did you detect enough interest to decide you? Are you still working on it?  ;)

EoinArmstrong

I'd like to see it too, as a user of Vuew 6 Esprit plus a few modules :)

And I think everyone here rocks too *group huggles*

Henry Blewer

I enjoy this forum also. There is a wonderful group of people here.

I do not envy Vue. I have used it and find it to be too intrusive. Like trying to write something in Microsoft Word, word does not allow things to be done your way. It has to be the Microsoft way. Vue seems to be this way also.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

MGebhart

Yesterday I started the Terragen 2 vs Vue 8 xStream document. It will take some time to finish. I need to determine what areas I need to address and which to ignore. It will by no means be the end all discussion document but, I promise an unbiased and accurate comparison.

The document will be in PDF format and in color.

Marc
Marc Gebhart

domdib

I look forward to it. Thanks for doing this, Marc.

Zairyn Arsyn

DandelO is heading deep into ememy territory, on a mission :D :D :D :D :D
Quote from: dandelO on January 14, 2010, 05:22:31 PM
Quote from: Seth on January 14, 2010, 02:40:53 PM
at least, Vue users can come in here to read what we write ;)
but we, not Vue users, can't go to their forum to read what they write :)

I can. My username there is 'Terragen 2'! :D (probably get deleted now... :))

i tried a Vue PLE once, did'nt really like it that much, only used it for a few days and switched back to TG2

WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

Oshyan

I'm quite interested in seeing the results, but it's imperative that it is done fairly as much as possible and that the methodology is not only sound, but fully disclosed. How much have you used each application? Do you have a similar level of experience with each? Will you consult with experts from each app perhaps? It might be a good idea.

I'm glad to see someone undertaking this and applaud your efforts in all areas thus far (particularly object creation!). Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. :)

- Oshyan

MGebhart

Well, just to let you know, I did not forget this undertaking. However, it makes it very difficult when Vue keeps crashing while doing very basic tasks. It's driving me nuts.

I'll keep you posted as to my progress.

Marc
Marc Gebhart

Jack

watch asilefx introduction to vue 8 lol the poor bloke cant even do basic tasks without it freezing or a bug appearing his workflow was totally ruined by it
My terragen gallery:
http://wetbanana.deviantart.com/

jaf

Just to throw out a few thoughts on this subjects....

I'm a big believer in specialty programs verses "all-in-one, Swiss Army Knife" programs like Vue.  I like using a modeling program for objects (I use Lightwave Modeler but hardly touch Layout) a terrain generation program (Worldmachine2 is my choice) and a rendering/environment program (Terragen2). 

Of course TG2 is not the choice for interior archvis renderings or rendering a car model -- there are many more suitable programs for this.  But for and outdoor environment render, TG2 seems to be the best, especially considering the price.

I own and have used Vue Infinite 6, but found stability problems and a high cost of staying "up-to-date."  Plus it seemed almost all the extras or addin content was for sale.  I hated running Vue and clicking on a texture and in the menus and finding it had to be purchased. Tg2 offers a lot of free content and no "surprises".  It does what it says.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02