Can't Save?!?!?

Started by guerillary, February 20, 2007, 06:09:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guerillary

I'm on a new Mac Powerbook running TG2.  I'm having no problems [yet] creating and rendering stills of terrains however - I can't save!  I'll choose "save as", the file I save will be created, then I close TG2 - open the "saved" file and... nothing there but a new scene.

I had the same issue in the preview version but had just thought it was disabled until buying a license.

Anybody have this issue?  Just bought the app and am leary of spending any real time with it if I can't save my work.

Thanks,

Ryan Thompson
ryan@giantsteps.us

groverwa

Gday

Are you able to open any of the tgd files in the file sharing area?

Maybe you can post one of your tgd files that you have saved and i can see what is in it.

Mike

old_blaggard

I've got a Mac PowerBook as well, and saving works just fine.  Try hitting Command-S instead of Save As.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

rcallicotte

Not as you describe it.  I had other issues where I could save and then suddenly couldn't do anything including save.

But, I'm wondering if you know where you're saving your image to, though that might seem too easy.  It's happened to me before.  Another possibility might be permissions, but you would think it wouldn't let you save at all if that were the problem.  Must be something outside of TG2, since this isn't a problem I've ever heard about before.  And you said it happened in the free and paid version, both.

Quote from: guerillary on February 20, 2007, 06:09:06 AM
I'm on a new Mac Powerbook running TG2.  I'm having no problems [yet] creating and rendering stills of terrains however - I can't save!  I'll choose "save as", the file I save will be created, then I close TG2 - open the "saved" file and... nothing there but a new scene.

I had the same issue in the preview version but had just thought it was disabled until buying a license.

Anybody have this issue?  Just bought the app and am leary of spending any real time with it if I can't save my work.

Thanks,

Ryan Thompson
ryan@giantsteps.us
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

guerillary

Great suggstions on the Command-S and permissions possibilities.... but, no dice.  This is really weird.  Having the same thing happen on my Mac G5.  I run the latest version of OSX on both.

Just to clarify here; I open a new scene, add a Power Fractal terrain, adjust it's color map on the shader and then save the scene after the preview render complets.  Then I close Terragen and re-open the scene file - however I'm staring at a completely unaffected new scene upon doing so.

I'm attaching a scene file in any event it'll help.  It'll probably show up as nothing, but it worth a shot.

Thanks,

Ryan
Giantsteps

old_blaggard

It loads up fine for me, actually.  How are you opening it into the program?  If your are drag-and-dropping the file to the application's icon, it might not load.  Try opening the application first and then hitting Command-O and loading the file.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

3DGuy

Just to get the obvious out of the way. Are you looking at a heightfield and did you press 'generate now' when you loaded the saved file?

guerillary

Wow, you can open it?  Can you see the additional terrain layer and color shader?  Ung, what the hell am I doing?

I guess the promising news is it's looking like [I'm an idiot] and the solution will be somthing simple.  Nevertheless, I still can't figure it out.

I open the same scene I've uploaded, my added terrain layer is missing, it looks like a new scene.  I can hit "generate now" but that's ust for the basic terrain layer already present in a new scene.

guerillary

Well, things are looking better.  This whole time I'd been double-clicking the scene file to open it up in TG2.  I tool your suggestion of opening the app first and then command-o and it worked!!!  Wow, must say I'm a little paranoid now about working on a scene for awhile and then finding command-o not even working.  Oh well, thanks a million for all the quick assistance.

Best regards,

Ryan
Giantsteps

jo

Hi,

On the Mac double clicking a tgd file in the Finder when TG2 is not already running will open TG2 but not open the file. I can't remember if it works or not when you drop a file on the app icon if the app isn't running, but I suspect not. Both will work if the app is already running.

I have sorted this out now, and this stuff will work as expected with the next TP release.

Giantsteps, when you say you're paranoid about command-o not working is this because you've had problems with it, or just that the fact TG2 doesn't open files in the above situations is giving you the willies? If it's the latter, don't worry because the two things ( command-o and double clicking ) are actually completely unrelated. What happens when you double click a file in the Finder is that the Finder starts the app which should open the file and then sends a thing called an AppleEvent to the app telling it which file to open. When TG2 was starting up it wasn't holding on to that AppleEvent, for various complex reasons, and so it didn't know it was supposed to open a file after it finished starting up. This is what is fixed for the next TP release ( and in current Mac alpha versions ).

Opening files once TG2 has started up should work fine, and I'm not aware of any bugs relating to that. You can use command-o or choose the Open item from the File menu to bring up an Open File dialog and choose a file to open. If TG2 has already started up then you should find you can double click tgd files in the Finder, or drop them on the app icon, and they will open.

Regards,

Jo

guerillary

Thanks Jo.  To clarify, I was just getting the willies another save issue might popup... and I'm evaluating the use of this app in an upcoming job.  Thanks for your assurance as I'm back into the app with no issues.  BTW - is there a an estimated release date for the commercial version of TG2?

Thanks!

Ryan

old_blaggard

I think the nebulous goal is 2007 ;).