Asteroids

Started by rcallicotte, February 20, 2007, 09:47:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

Does it matter that these are planets instead of rocks?  Seems like the possibilities for greater depth and realism would be more possible with a reduced planet than an enlarged fake stone...or not?

Anyway, there must be a way to take these to another level by programming the TGC or the TGD.  It must be possible in a way similar to what you're talking about, but with what I already did.

Nevertheless, if you think you can do this the way you're saying, I'd like to see it.  How easy do you think this could happen?  Let me see it, if you create it.

What I'm talking about with perspective - http://www.ashundar.com/CPG/displayimage.php?pos=-3853
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Oshyan

There *is* a population of planets possible...

But anyway, through the method you're using, a programmatic approach of directly writing to the .tgc or .tgd would be best. Look into your .tgd and you will see it's a human readable XML file. Find the area that defines a planet, or one of your asteroids, figure out which parts you want to randomize or adjust per asteroid (position, size, etc.), then write a simple program to write a new planet definition entry sequentially to a .tgd file for the specified number of iterations and with the specified randomization/adjustment parameters. For example you should be able to easily setup a script to output a series of 100 asteroids of size randomized between 10 and 15 km, and to randomize the Power Fractal function applied to each as well. Something to play with...

- Oshyan

rcallicotte

Thanks Oshyan!  This makes things much more interesting...as if that were even thought possible.  Great!

I'll post what I figure out here.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?