Thaw

Started by Kevin F, January 15, 2010, 09:26:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Kevin F on January 18, 2010, 04:38:26 AM
Thanks guys.
@ Hetzen/TU I'm not 100% sure I know what you mean.
My problem is that I don't have a PF generating the ice patches. They're made by merging two water shaders with different wave/roughness values, one for the water and one for the ice. They're then merged and selected by height.

I know you didn't use a PF. I meant that with your way of doing this, by using 2 water shaders, you have the possibility to control the reflective properties of the ice patches separately from the water.

The water is nicely reflective and so is the ice, while I think it would really add to the realism that the ice is less reflective and also a bit rougher.
To get some roughness, feed the watershader for the ice through a surfacelayer (use the input port, not the layer child).
The surfacelayer has colour disabled. Then make a really small scale PF (say 0.005 lead in, 0.0025 feature and 0.001 small) with really small displacement, say around 0.003. Connect that PF to the displacement port of the surfacelayer.
Feed the ouput of the surfacelayer into the merge-shader, like it was before without the surfacelayer, that's it.

Martin

jo

Hi Kevin,

Cool looking ice, particularly the 3rd test image, already looking better than my Ice Shelf stuff from WaterWorks as per discussion on Dune's surf thread.

Looking at your node screenshot, not exactly to my taste but I'm glad someone else is using the colour customisations :-).

Regards,

Jo

Henry Blewer

I agree with Jo about the 3rd image being the best. If there were some washed up onto the shore I think this would be awesome. As it is now, it's really great work.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Kevin F

Hi Jo, I think you're refering to Hetzen's images here.
Regards
Kevin

Kevin F

Thanks for the input Hetzen and TU. Both really helpfull.
Iv'e got a nice image cooking at the moment thanks to you guys,

Henry Blewer

Whoops for me also. :-\ :P

Kevin F

Here's the latest render using Hetzen's ice technique (thanks again). It stands up well at higher resolutions but takes an age to render.
I know the specular highlights are high but hey, I think it works.
AA 6 , detail .65, GI 2,2 with super sample on.
Not that high at all but still took over 25hrs for the lower 2/3's alone!
Must get an i7 system soon.

C&C welcome.

FrankB

congrats, the ice looks pretty convincing.
I still think the snow shouldn't be that thick, and then just have some parts not covered with snow at all and stones sticking through (like on the right side).
Overall I think it's a pretty creative image!

Cheers,
Frank

Walli

very nice! Probably a tad sharp towards the horizon/background, but especially the water/ice looks great.

Henry Blewer

I am very impressed. Nice work!

Tangled-Universe

Completely agree with Frank here.
This is really good work, like it very much!

Do you need the warpy/stretchy fractal on the water to get the ice effect? I think the ice volumetrics look really nice by themselves.
Also, do you plan on developing this further and sharing it?

Keep up the good work :)

Cheers,
Martin

domdib

Excellent work on the ice - I'd add my request for a clip file. The one thing I'm not so enthused about is the surface of the snow close-up - I think it should be smoother.

P.S. Sorry not to respond to your earlier question - but the area of water where it was (just) visible is now ice-covered anyway.

EoinArmstrong

Wow - that ice looks superb!

MacGyver

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on January 20, 2010, 07:55:51 AM
Do you need the warpy/stretchy fractal on the water to get the ice effect? I think the ice volumetrics look really nice by themselves.

That's what I like most about the ice, opinions differ I guess ;)
What you wish to kindle in others must burn within yourself. - Augustine