Terrain Project Proposal

Started by CCC, January 16, 2010, 06:56:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCC

I want to suggest a terrain project proposal if anyone is interested. Reason being is even though i see a lot of nifty terrains being created by many here i do not see specific terrains based on more true to life features. For example one proposal can be based off of a realistic canyon scenario like Dead Horse Point in Utah. Features would include a terrain that is based on many elevation layers that start off as high rigid mountains in the back round and have rigid flat-top mesas and hills here and there then fall down to large-scale canyon layers and still more lower level plateaus and mesas then falling off again to lower levels based on more of the same with hoodoos thrown in and flat zones and sedimentary bases and talus were various stones would build up at the base of steeper stratified cliffs, mesas and long canyons.

Here is a photo example as well. I already am testing my own ideas, however what is missing is the various levels were the terrain would fall-off into deeper canyon separations, actual winding canyons that could branch off into smaller canyons, sediment/talus and lastly good large-scale and finer small-scale strata methods.

Henry Blewer

Most of us just get an approximation of the landscape we want to represent. After the vegetation is added, most of the terrain is often covered. GIS data is hard to wait for the download to start, I find. World Machine will do much of this, but I have not taken the time to do much with it.
To do this properly in Terragen 2 would probably use many high resolution masks, which use memory. But it may be fun to explore this, when I have a more robust, faster, and RAM equipped computer.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

CCC

Quote from: njeneb on January 16, 2010, 08:36:24 AM
Most of us just get an approximation of the landscape we want to represent. After the vegetation is added, most of the terrain is often covered. GIS data is hard to wait for the download to start, I find. World Machine will do much of this, but I have not taken the time to do much with it.
To do this properly in Terragen 2 would probably use many high resolution masks, which use memory. But it may be fun to explore this, when I have a more robust, faster, and RAM equipped computer.

True, i just thought it would be an interesting challenge none the less, however i just thought of something over the night and in order to get these canyons to work properly there needs to be a iteration and river/terrain aging filter and this is just not possible procedurally so this is not possible anyways.

I'll lock this topic if needed.

Henry Blewer

I would think it could be possible. It would be a node group based on functions, which I am not very strong using. I have been able to get something like erosion using power fractals stretched along the y axis and using a slope constraint.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T