Terragen Animation Forum

Started by rkphelps, January 20, 2010, 04:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hetzen

Quote from: himalofa on January 25, 2010, 08:43:59 PM
and that was able to merge distant vegitation into a colour thus preventing this distant flickering.

There's absolutely nothing stopping you do that in Terragen. In fact it's something I often do.

reck

I do however feel that the animation functions are of secondary importance while so many users are producing such good stills.

I think a lot of people are waiting for the upcoming animation module before jumping into animation in a big way. From what I hear animation is not the most pleasant thing to do in TG2 at the moment, but this will change when the module is released.

Kadri

Quote from: Hetzen on January 26, 2010, 07:38:58 AM
and that was able to merge distant vegitation into a colour thus preventing this distant flickering.

There's absolutely nothing stopping you do that in Terragen. In fact it's something I often do.

I don't know exactly what you mean Hetzen , but i think what he is  saying is in the render engine level .

Kadri.

himalofa

Yes it would be implemented in the renderer or the object panel, where you can set a distance where the vegitation is rendered as a colour that matches the trees. It worked well for distant forests.

QuoteThere's absolutely nothing stopping you do that in Terragen. In fact it's something I often do.

If there is a way of doing this in TG2 please tell.

Oshyan

As you have said, animation is somewhat less "mature" than still rendering technology, in TG2 and elsewhere as well, realistically speaking. As we turn our attention more to animation, improvements will certainly be made in these areas.

- Oshyan

rcallicotte

Great.

Quote from: Oshyan on January 22, 2010, 02:25:32 AM
We'll keep it in mind, but let's just say that it will be more compelling to do this once the animation module is finalized. ;)

- Oshyan
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Hetzen

Quote from: himalofa on January 26, 2010, 06:55:33 PM
Yes it would be implemented in the renderer or the object panel, where you can set a distance where the vegitation is rendered as a colour that matches the trees. It worked well for distant forests.

QuoteThere's absolutely nothing stopping you do that in Terragen. In fact it's something I often do.

If there is a way of doing this in TG2 please tell.

Sorry, that was a pretty broad and sweeping statement. What you can do, is set a distance shader to blend populations (which are already controlled by a fractal placement) into the same PF used as a coloured displacement. This will work on side panning stuff. For forward, you'll have to set up a greyscale distance pass (z-depth) on just the population, which you then use to blend over the same terrain withought the population, but with the same pop PF displacing your forrest colours.

warnerbrown

Oshyan, do you and the staff have a rough time-frame for when the final animation module will be available?
thanks

Oshyan

Quote from: warnerbrown on February 28, 2010, 06:32:18 PM
Oshyan, do you and the staff have a rough time-frame for when the final animation module will be available?
thanks

We do not have a release date at this time unfortunately. I can say with certainty it will be within 2010, but I know that's far from the level of specificity you were probably looking for.

- Oshyan

rcallicotte

Is it okay to ask what sort of things are the priority of the development team presently?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

White_Pony

Recently purchased Terragen 2 with XfrogPlants with the hope that animation would be possible.  Write up on the storefront page mentions that this program bundle contained... "(with animation and five render nodes)."  Reading through the forums, I'm not so sure now if Terragen can produce what I need it to do.  I'm still going through the learning curve to use Terragen 2.  I've also sent a request for information to Support for additional answers as well.  Because as mentioned above by a couple of others here; spending countless hours reading through the forums for specific information, are hours I don't have-- as I suspect most of you here already more than understand, if you're in the production pipeline.

My hope was to be able to animate an environmental scene where the surrounding vegatation is moving as a result of wind and/or gravitational effects.  From what I'm gathering, from what information I can find, it sounds like the only animation that might be capable is panning the camera around, i.e.: fly thru.  I'm hoping the camera can remain stationary while the environment moves, as mentioned above.  Is this currently possible?  Or will it be possible?   
S."White Pony" Kidwell
White Pony Productions
3D Generalist/Visual Special Effects

cyphyr

Theres no function within Terragen to animate foilage (as if it was blown by the wind) That would be animating the model rather than an terragen specific element of the scene (all of which can be animated).

However all is not lost :)

Although you cant apply gravitation/environmental/wind effects within terragen you can load object sequances (I think). Since you own the full package including XFrog you should be able to apply environmental effects (wind etc.) in XFrog and save incremental models (tree_001.obj, tree_002.obj etc) and have terragen load these. Use the format: "tree.%04d.obj" in your object loader should work.

Hope this works for you, let us know the result.
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Seth

QuoteIn 2009 we will add a graphical curve/key-frame editor, more interpolation options and powerful import/export functions. These will be released in free updates for anyone who pre-purchases the Animation module.

Maybe you should correct this in the Planetside website ;)

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: cyphyr on March 08, 2010, 09:37:12 AM
Theres no function within Terragen to animate foilage (as if it was blown by the wind) That would be animating the model rather than an terragen specific element of the scene (all of which can be animated).

However all is not lost :)

Although you cant apply gravitation/environmental/wind effects within terragen you can load object sequances (I think). Since you own the full package including XFrog you should be able to apply environmental effects (wind etc.) in XFrog and save incremental models (tree_001.obj, tree_002.obj etc) and have terragen load these. Use the format: "tree.%04d.obj" in your object loader should work.

Hope this works for you, let us know the result.
Richard

I have tried this a couple of weeks ago and this doesn't work Richard.
It works for image-sequences though.

I filed a feature-request for this in the alpha-forum, so we'll see when it shows up some time?

Cheers,
Martin

rkphelps

It's been over a year since I started this thread and Thought I'd ask if anyone knows the current state of the Animation module for Terragen 2?
It won't be long before It'll be the 2nd anniversary of when I stepped up and payed the extra for the Animation version vs the base version of Terragen 2 Software when I made my purchase.

At the time of my purchase Planetside made it sound like the update adding the animation features in Terragen 2 would be coming soon and pre-ordering it would be a cost savings to me.

I truly expected the update with-in the first year of my ownership of Terragen 2.

We do not have a release date at this time unfortunately. I can say with certainty it will be within 2010, but I know that's far from the level of specificity you were probably looking for.

- Oshyan

If I knew then that almost 2 years later I still would not have what I was buying to save money on I would have maybe only bought the base Terragen 2 or maybe none at all at that time.

I have seen that they are working on things like 64bit versions but hardly any news of a full featured animation version of Terragen 2 that was being pre-marketed 2 years ago. Does anyone know if we'll see animation this year?