To Crash or Not To Crash

Started by Tangled-Universe, January 26, 2010, 02:16:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBlackHole

Internet Explorer?  IMO more like Internet Exploder. It takes half an hour to load Google Home! >:(
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

CCC

neuspadrin

ie can't process javascript at all, which is why its so slow.  and sites nowadays rely heavily on it.

my personal choice is chrome, but firefox and safari are great to have too. (i dislike apples though, so i dont use safari).

Tangled-Universe

Ok, back to topic:

It crashed again, even after splitting it over 2 instances and thus enabling the scene to have access to approx. 2x times more RAM.
Which makes me wonder: why?
Which makes me wonder even more: why the excessive increase in RAM-usage over increasing resolution? It seems disproportionate?

Seth

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on January 27, 2010, 01:07:23 PM
Ok, back to topic:

It crashed again, even after splitting it over 2 instances and thus enabling the scene to have access to approx. 2x times more RAM.
Which makes me wonder: why?
Which makes me wonder even more: why the excessive increase in RAM-usage over increasing resolution? It seems disproportionate?

i've been experiencing a lot of crashes these last days...
I did get rid of some crashes by lowering the value of first sampling level (just to the right of RT) from 1/4 to 1/16, but as you use only a few trees i don't know if it could help.

Henry Blewer

I have not had this happen since I reset the Large awareness program RAM size. I use 32 bit Vista.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Oshyan

Are you accounting for increased memory usage from increased resolution properly? If you double resolution, you *quadrouple* memory requirements for the image buffers. If you increase AA at the same time, it further increases memory needs.

- Oshyan

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Oshyan on January 28, 2010, 12:37:23 AM
Are you accounting for increased memory usage from increased resolution properly? If you double resolution, you *quadrouple* memory requirements for the image buffers. If you increase AA at the same time, it further increases memory needs.

- Oshyan

Yes that's what I mean. I'm not entirely sure, but as far as I know many other renderers do not exhibit this behaviour/requirements when only increasing resolution. Ok, there's some increasing demand, but not in a similar fashion as TG2. I might be mistaken of course. Just thinking out loud.

Oshyan

TG2 keeps the entire image in RAM currently. Many other apps may only keep portions, or may keep the image on disk and write to it periodically. There are certainly more sophisticated ways to handle this in terms of memory use.

- Oshyan