Pandoria

Started by cyphyr, February 03, 2010, 08:36:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyphyr

Well I'm not too happy with this one but I guess I dont have Mr Camerons resources lol.
The inspiration is obvious and it is of course derivative but I just had to give it a go :)
I was aiming for something more like Zhangjiajie mountains (link to Google image search) but couldn't quite get it. Cant seem to get the rocks angular enough.
Anyway C&C welcome :)
Enjoy
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

domdib

I am James Cameron, and I intend to sue for breach of copyright, because my film hasn't made enough money... ;)

Love the clouds and the central feature. There's something a bit funny about the distribution of small green shrubs on the bottom left mound, which also looks a bit too circular to be believable. Other than that, great work!

inkydigit

Hi Richard, it looks really good so far, thoiugh the foreground veggies could be more varied?
did you use any voronoi?
if you dissect the tgd here, and extract the function nodes as a clip file, change the scales(constant scalars) to suit, and see how that works...you can then add smaller scale displacements on top....

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=4970.0

Zairyn Arsyn

James/domdib i hate to say it but.... your just a genetically enginneered clone of James Cameron, just like i am. :)

;D :D
Quote from: domdib on February 03, 2010, 08:42:44 AM
I am James Cameron, and I intend to sue for breach of copyright, because my film hasn't made enough money... ;)

i  think displacements on the main central the rock formation look friggin' awesome.
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

mr-miley

Hmmm, James Cameron? Derivative you say?  Don't see it myself. I can't remember anything like THIS in Titanic..... *scratches head*

Really nice work Richard. Good distribution of the plants. I see what you mean about the angularness (is that a word?) of the rock, but I think it looks great as it is.

Miles
I love the smell of caffine in the morning

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Dune

Very interesting scene. A lot is happening everywhere. But the palm trees are too plastic. Why don't you throw a (one colour, no displacement) powerfractal over the leaf color to get some variation. If you want the whole pop to vary, use a camera + image shader to project color variation over the pop.

---Dune

Seth

nice shot to me !
very alienish landscape.
good job.

MGebhart

Excellent! Now make the Mother tree.

Marc
Marc Gebhart

cyphyr

Cheers guys, thanks for the feedback :)
I'm refining the displacements now, using two warped voronois on top of each other. I couldn't work out why I could not warp the voronois before, found out I was using the wrong "get" function. I had been using a simple "get position", it has no effect however "get position in texture" works well enough, other "get" functions may work as well.
For now I'm not working on the vegitation, laptop won't handle it and I want to concentrate on the landscape first. :)

I would like to have a go at the "Home Tree",might be a good re-introduction to XFrog (when I get my "key" back lol)

Oh and James, I'm sure we can work out something, you can have half (well maybe 10%) of any money I make from this picture :)

Thanks

Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

Oshyan

Looks like a great start (well more than a start...) to a superb scene. I think the main thing that needs tuning is the vegetation, so I agree with Dune's advice wholeheartedly. That and maybe some more dramatic/brighter/contrasty lighting. Looking forward to future versions...

- Oshyan

EoinArmstrong

Hehe - nice homage.  I love the main rock pillar - brilliant displacement work.

Maybe needs more foliage coverage and higher contrast - but it's way better than anything I could do atm :)

cyphyr

Still working on the landforms. To get lateral displacements coming out from the vertical and near vertical rock wall I'm having to use a compute normal before each new displacement. Looks good, still needs more work, but the render times are getting silly. I'm up to 4 or 5 now and its really starting to drag. I keep wondering if I could combine displacements and use one compute terrain/normal for them all but I'm pretty sure that wont work in the desired way. After all until the first or second lateral displacement is calculated there is no valid info to base the next displacements on , and so on ... .. . I think.  ::)
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

Markal

I am James Cameron's avatar and he is inside me right now....doh!!...that sounds kinky....never mind.
This rocks....very cool...I agree about the foilage...it looks a bit illustrated and not natural...still, overall awesome!!!

MGebhart

cyphyr,

Is it possible to create the levitating mountains? That would be cool.

Marc
Marc Gebhart