How to query and use an Altitude Range for Shading tweaks ?

Started by smoluck, February 22, 2007, 04:55:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoluck

How can I use PlanetSurfaceShaderNode a query the altitude data to select for exmple a range between 500 M to 8000 to add some DisplacementShader to that part of the planet ?

I created a GetAltitudeNode create 2 ConstantScalarNode to define min/max value, and connect these 3 node to my ClampScalarNode. This output need to be used in addition with a MergeShaderNode to blend in that range more displacement than in the rest of the planet.

Where do I  connect this OutputClamp ( I dont know if this FunctionClampScalar is athe good tool to select an altitude range) to define a particular zone where I need some more Alpine relief ?

Why can't we connect shader directly to the different region of the PlanetSurfaceShader, in order to add some hlls and color variation (greenish foliage color and Forest color) to the Lowland, HighLand and Snow line separately ?

Oshyan

The Planet Surface Shader is *extremely* limited and experimental right now and frankly I don't suggest using it for anything beyond basic planet coloring and contours. It is definitely not intended as a universal, generic way to start the modeling of a realistic planet, and as such it is not very tweakable or easy to add onto. Most changes to it simply cause it to stop working properly, including adding displacement

In any case I wouldn't fiddle about with "get altitude", etc. for confining displacement. You should be able to use a Distribution Shader or Surface Layer as a Blend Shader on any displaced surface and thus control its area of effect by altitude, slope, etc.

- Oshyan