Using Distribution with Tree Population.

Started by MGebhart, February 06, 2010, 09:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MGebhart

I posted an image called Mountains in the Image Sharing section. Henry (njeneb) made a suggestion on populating the scene with trees.

I created a population of pines and attached a distribution shader. I can't seem to control the altitude. No matter what values I input the population will not change.

I have attached screen captures. Also, I read the Populations Object tutorial with no luck.

Ready to learn.

Thanks,

Marc
Marc Gebhart

choronr

I've experienced the same thing you have Marc; and, have resorted to the Painted Shader with better results.

Dune

For easy checking, put the output of the distri-shader into the color input of an extra surface shader at the end of the line. You'll see the white of the mask on your landscape. Then experiment with the settings, such as Y and final position ((try position in terrain, without the Y checked). Also try different heights as they might mismatch the heights you see when hovering. I always use such a (final and temporary) test surfacelayer to check out distri-shaders, distance shaders, even fractals.
It should work!

---Dune

Henry Blewer

Dune has nailed it. I never use the y for altitude. But I often have to have an exaggerated height which does not correspond to water levels or height level.
I also change the fuzzy zone to zero to test the population. When I am happy the the altitude constraint, then I adjust the fuzzy zone.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

MGebhart

Marc Gebhart

dandelO

I usually use a surface layer instead of a distribution shader. For exactly the reasons that Dune said. One of the reasons I like surface layers instead is because of the 'enable test colour' function. Even when no colour is required in the distribution layer you can still see a guide by clicking this checkbox temporarily.

I think I read before that there may be some issues that you might come across using SL in place of dist' shaders(I think to do with slope constraints) but I've never came across any.

Henry Blewer

I had difficulty using surface layers for this. The color of the underlying layers was being affected, even with the color turned off. But for image masking, this may be the only way. Applying an image mask to the distribution shader has never giving me the result I was looking for.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T