Another Sunset/Sunrise

Started by dhavalmistry, February 23, 2007, 08:53:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhavalmistry

I rendered this at 512 Atmosphere samples and this damn thing is still grainy.

Was this 7Hr 38min render worth it??...
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Volker Harun

Very, very cool rays!
My wife would love the colours, but me ...  8) 8) 8) .. I am different from my wife  ;D ;D ;D

The grain ... it is on the eye of the beholder ... I saw it on the second glance and I think it is alright.

About worthy ... hmmm, I would go for a larger render for sure (maybe with other colours ...).
Maybe your other quality settings are far too high!?!

Regards,
Volker Harun

Paolo

I really like the atmosphere and the grain you got there it's non disturbing at all.
Good job!
Cheers

dhavalmistry

Quote from: Volker Harun on February 23, 2007, 09:01:43 AM
Very, very cool rays!
My wife would love the colours, but me ...  8) 8) 8) .. I am different from my wife  ;D ;D ;D

The grain ... it is on the eye of the beholder ... I saw it on the second glance and I think it is alright.

About worthy ... hmmm, I would go for a larger render for sure (maybe with other colours ...).
Maybe your other quality settings are far too high!?!

Regards,
Volker Harun

here are my render settings

ATMO samples: 512
Cloud samples: 235
Render detail: 05
AA: 5
GI quality: 2
GI samples: 2
Ray tracing not enabled

so you see...the only setting far too high is atmosphere samples and I think it doesnt look grainy because the render is too small....

Volker Harun

QuoteATMO samples: 512
Cloud samples: 235
Render detail: 05
AA: 5
GI quality: 2
GI samples: 2
Ray tracing not enabled
Those settings seem to reasonable - except for the atmo-settings, they are really far off.
I stay for GI on zero, which cuts down rendertime enormously. In my last render with the spheres, I went with AA up to 19, to get really soft spheres, highlights and shadows. For this scenery an AA of 3 or 4 should be maximum.
Your clouds are quite thick. So you might want to reduce the atmospheric samples to 256 and go with the cloud samples to 300. Maybe that could be a clue. ??? ??? ??? ???

Volker Harun

dhavalmistry

lowering down atmosphere samples would only increase grains wouldn't it?....you cant see grains in this render because the render is small. Believe me when I say I have tried rendering this BIG (1920 x 1080) and it wasn't pleasant as it took couple of days and nights and still it wasnt half done

Volker Harun

Yes, but my thought was quite a tradeoff - which might not work.
Would you mind to share the TGD via PM with me? I would have a look as sonn as possible.

Volker Harun

Oshyan

It might indeed be a good idea to try balancing cloud and atmosphere samples more. It's sometimes hard to say where noise is coming from. In this case I would try 256 atmosphere samples and 512 cloud samples. Render time should be about the same, perhaps even lower, because atmosphere samples tend to affect speed more. I would certainly test it only on a crop render area where the noise shows up most though. It may also help to increase overall detail.

- Oshyan

dhavalmistry

do you thing enabling ray tracing would do anything  except increasing render time???

Oshyan

No, I wouldn't bother with ray-tracing at all. It's really only useful for when you have the "sun shining through terrain" problem or you want rays to be cast *from* terrain into the atmosphere.

- Oshyan