Mordor

Started by nvseal, February 23, 2007, 09:08:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nvseal

It took more than 48 hours to render and I'm not really happy with it. It looks more like a painting which wasn't what I was going for. A well, suggestions would be great for I intend to keep working on it a little.

old_blaggard

I agree that it looks more like a painting than a photo, but it's really similar to some of the artwork in my copy of the trilogy.  I love your sky and rays - a few more atmosphere samples would have cleared up that grain.  If you want it to look more like a photo, try adding some fake stones - they're often pretty well defined and add a bit of sharpness to an image.  Great job overall, in my opinion.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

dhavalmistry

it is nice but the name doesnt really go with the picture here....I mean if you were going for Mordor look (Lord of the Rings) then I think a lot of red glowing environment is needed......
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Will

neat render either way though.

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Volker Harun

I love this sky! Moody render - I don't care about the painty look - as it gives the perfect feeling!

Dark Fire

Quote from: dhavalmistry on February 23, 2007, 09:24:13 AM
it is nice but the name doesnt really go with the picture here....I mean if you were going for Mordor look (Lord of the Rings) then I think a lot of red glowing environment is needed......
It looks more like somewhere near Mordor than Mordor itself...

Will

Dark Fire

Now, that's a challenge...

nvseal

Quote from: Dark Fire on February 23, 2007, 12:27:31 PM
Quote from: dhavalmistry on February 23, 2007, 09:24:13 AM
It looks more like somewhere near Mordor than Mordor itself...
That's what it was intended to be. I can see how the thread title can be a bit misleading.
@ dhavalmistry: I thought the same thing. I'm still trying to get the correct balance of light intensity and light distribution.

Oshyan

I actually really like this. I think it's quite beautiful. Minimalist, but very effective IMO. All it really needs if you ask me is some contrast and/or levels adjustment. I tried a simple Auto Contrast on it in XnView (free) and it made it look much more impactful. More careful levels/contrast adjustment would probably do even better, or working with the original OpenEXR HDR image from TG2 if you have it.

In any case I think there's a huge amount of potential here and I wouldn't give up on it. However given the long render time you might consider changing some of your detail settings. Perhaps clouds are *too high*, or overall detail is unnecessarily high? Maybe GI detail or AA are more than necessary? There are many possibilities. If you have either of the Ray-traced Shadows options on in Atmosphere or Cloud Quality tabs these probably aren't necessary either.

- Oshyan

Will

Anouther suggestion I would like to give would be trying to get rid of the holes in the clouds on the right side of the image (where they are redish)

Regards,

Will

Dark Fire

Quote from: Will on February 23, 2007, 07:35:06 PM
Anouther suggestion I would like to give would be trying to get rid of the holes in the clouds on the right side of the image (where they are redish)

Regards,

Will
I was thinking about that as well - as Mordor appears to be to the right of the picture, there should be fewer holes in the clouds there, or none at all...

nvseal

Quote from: Will on February 23, 2007, 07:35:06 PM

Regards,

Will

I agree, could anyone give me any info on how to control the cloud distribution?

mrwho

i like it. could you post the TGD file?

nvseal

Sure, here's the tgd. I've moved the light source some and upped the intensity alittle, so it's no the exact same shot but everything else is still the same.