Question: Adding a Second Processor to a Dell (TM) Worksation

Started by Cyber-Angel, February 18, 2010, 09:24:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyber-Angel

I was wondering if any Dell users around here could help me? I have read that Dell (TM) uses propitiatory main-boards that need Dell issued heat sinks for the CPU! I have a Precession T7400 Workstation, and when I took the spec sheet in to one of there kiosks to order it it clearly had two processors on it but when the sales guy ordered it, it got ordered with one.

Now the single Quadcore I have is nice, but clearly the system is designed for two, so I was wondering is it possible to call dell (My System is still under guaranty I believe) and have them fit a second processor, if so what part of Dell should speak two?

For those who are wondering why I had to go to a Dell kiosk to order my system, it was due to I ordered the sound card but there was at that time no option to deselect the internal speaker on the site (A situation now fixed), you could not have the sound-card and internal speaker in the same case.

Thanks for any help!  ;D

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel

Henry Blewer

To keep the warranty, you will have to have a Dell certified tech install the processor. I would email an inquiry to Dell support. If the mobo can handle it, go for it.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

PG

I would buy a CPU and fit it yourself, they're easy is Pi and Dell's warranty is useless anyway.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

andytw

Quote from: PG on February 18, 2010, 04:10:56 PM
I would buy a CPU and fit it yourself, they're easy is Pi and Dell's warranty is useless anyway.

You can order another processor direct from Dell which is specifically for the T7400 and it will be supported under your warranty.

I believe it will include the correct heatsink, but I'd confirm that with Dell Support before ordering as the description on the UK Dell site describes it as a "kit" but doesn't detail exactly what the kit contains.