Starfield stock

Started by freelancah, February 20, 2010, 10:37:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

freelancah

A starfield stock image incase you need a starry background. Click the download button to get 3200x1600 tiff

http://freelancah.deviantart.com/art/Starfield-stock-154786926

TheBlackHole

Speaking of starfields, Celestia can do some pretty good ones. Make sure you've pointed away form any nearby objects and then you can take a screenshot. And every last star in those starfields (made with Celestia) is real. Very realistic too!
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

blackcat

Quote from: TheBlackHole on February 20, 2010, 11:23:29 AM
Speaking of starfields, Celestia can do some pretty good ones. Make sure you've pointed away form any nearby objects and then you can take a screenshot. And every last star in those starfields (made with Celestia) is real. Very realistic too!

Just be sure not to include the Celestia Milky Way within the frame: it is not very realistic at all.

R

TheBlackHole

@blackcat
With my settings (light gain 0-5%, automag on, Celestia-ED 1.5.1) it is very realistic.
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

TheBlackHole

Here's one I did with the above settings (actually 15% light gain :D) and it looks real.

pfrancke

TBH -- That is pretty slick!!

edit -- so now if I do a night scene on the ocean, and tell you what time it is, you'll be able to give us latitude and longitude?

TheBlackHole

@pfrancke
Just download Celestia-ED 1.5.1, and you can get starfields just like the one I posted. Also, I'm thinking about turning freelancah's starfield into a spherical environment map (sky bubble) that can be projected spherically onto a background sphere to get 360-degree stars that move with the other objects in the scene if animated. I've already done this type of thing in Anim8or, and I've been using the effect for a long time.

pfrancke

That sounds like a real interesting workflow!

freelancah

Im not very familiar with this celestia but what about the imagemap copyrights on it?

TheBlackHole

Celestia's open source, which is about as free as you can get. Celestia's starfields aren't image maps, they're actual starfields: models of stars and galaxies arranged in their real positions. You can select any star and go there, and see what the sky would look like if you went there. And with a little coding skills (easily learned from reading the included data files) you can define your own solar systems around those stars. Each star is a textured sphere that gives off light which is visible light years away.

freelancah

zgrillo2004

Very nice mate. you should make a tutorial on how you made that starfield