Planet Ring

Started by CCC, February 20, 2010, 06:29:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCC

Thank you for the effort.    :)

Never would have considered using clouds but it would look better then using a ordinary power fractal anyways because say the cloud samples are real low then it might look like fine particles like a real ring. As far as the far side that is odd. I wonder if it could be a x z axis issue?

Rotating would be nifty.

Kadri

I looked at it a little. I don't know why the far side of the view don't appear .
But it seems like it is related to the Camera(render) view . Wherever you put the Camera the far side don't appear.
Kind of a Atmosphere Camera related thing.  Maybe not a bug but the way TG2 calculates things (atmosphere-clouds etc.) ?
Only a guess of course. Can be anything  :)

Kadri.

dandelO

It's really frustrating, I can render it fine with the camera above. It seems that if any of the cloud is obscured by the planet in the distance, it just won't render.

I'd really like to use this method on a proper scaled scene, I'll post a support topic incase this doesn't get noticed by PS in here. I'd like to know how to fix this.

Kadri

Interesting ! I didn't tried from above DandelO .
I am curious too why this happen .

Kadri.

Henry Blewer

It could be a clipping issue with the render camera. Sometimes in Blender, I have to adjust this to encompass the whole scene.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

dandelO

Here's where it starts to cut off.

[attachimg=#]

It seems the planet doesn't need to be directly in front for it to happen, all rings should be visible in this view.

Henry, I only know how to adjust camera clipping in the preview. I can't see any clipping options for the render camera. Still, these aren't far distances, the scene is to a small scale.

Kadri

Quote from: dandelO on March 03, 2010, 08:41:17 AM
... Still, these aren't far distances, the scene is to a small scale.

Did you tried it with a bigger scale Planet , DandelO ?

Kadri.

dandelO

Of course, Kadri. ;) The small scales were just to easier get my head around the concept.

Here's a proper planetary scaled test. Same issue. :(

8492 cloud samples for this test!

[attachimg=#]

Kadri

Hmm... It's really frustrating !

Kadri.

FrankB

why not use rock populations? Like in the free Class M Planets pack at NWDA?
Sure it can be fine tuned further, but it's actually really easy to set up.

Frank

dandelO

Frank has good advice. :D

I'd still like to get this method to render correctly, I can think of some fantastic effects with cloud layers as rings. Hopefully there's a solution in the pipeline to both the disc object and the cloud method aswell.

The class-M planet rings method with populations is great, too. And probably the most realistic for now. You'll need millions of instances, mind you.

CCC

I would not mind the rock populations but i would like to have a fine dust as in a real ring, in case i want to do close-ups. I do not think i can get away with so many tiny scale rocks for objects no larger then a meter.

Henry Blewer

You can set up a camera at the location you want to see the dust. Then you a distribution shader to limit the dust to an area whee it would be visible.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Ogre

I played around and it seems like the contour shader was causing issues.  Here is another potential method if you want to deal with functions.
"If you find me feeding daisies
please turn my face up to the sky and leave me be watching the moon roll by.
What ever I was it was all because I've been on the town washing the BS down."

-Gordon Lightfoot

TheBlackHole

OK, full-sized planet please....
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?