Procedural Night Sky - v.2

Started by dandelO, February 21, 2010, 10:52:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dandelO

As I said in here somewhere before, my original 'procedural night sky' doesn't work(not as it should've, at least). :-[
I'm a little surprised that nobody pointed out my glaring error, even just looking back at the nodes, I can see it wouldn't work correctly.

Originally, there were 2 fractals feeding luminosity settings of 2 default shaders(I updated this to 3 of each, still not correct). These were wired in series, meaning that the second(or third) shader in the network was completely over riding each previous shader. You'd only ever see the final fractal's output, not the preceding ones at all.

This new version works as it should now. 4 different coloured luminosities apply a blend of 4 separate star fractals over the entire sky.
A very basic pinpoint star generator.

As before, I'm uploading the entire background node, designed to replace the default Terragen background node. This is because I want to keep it easily flippable between day/night modes, with one click.

At default settings, the day mode is enabled. Most scenes won't require stars.
To enable night mode, simply visit the group 'Background' from any node network's groups list at the left, highlight the group container box and hit key 'D'. This will disable the day mode and enable the night mode in a single click.

You'll see here in this empty sky shot that there are now faintly multicoloured stars.
[attachimg=#]

[attachimg=#]

Thanks for looking/downloading! :)

Henry Blewer

Thank you so much! This is something I have needed. Backdrops do not cut it.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Zairyn Arsyn

at last! Procedural Night Sky v2!

thanks
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

pfrancke

mr_anderson

Quote from: dandelO on February 21, 2010, 10:52:41 AM
As I said in here somewhere before, my original 'procedural night sky' doesn't work(not as it should've, at least). :-[
I'm a little surprised that nobody pointed out my glaring error, even just looking back at the nodes, I can see it wouldn't work correctly.

Originally, there were 2 fractals feeding luminosity settings of 2 default shaders(I updated this to 3 of each, still not correct). These were wired in series, meaning that the second(or third) shader in the network was completely over riding each previous shader. You'd only ever see the final fractal's output, not the preceding ones at all.

This new version works as it should now. 4 different coloured luminosities apply a blend of 4 separate star fractals over the entire sky.
A very basic pinpoint star generator.

As before, I'm uploading the entire background node, designed to replace the default Terragen background node. This is because I want to keep it easily flippable between day/night modes, with one click.

At default settings, the day mode is enabled. Most scenes won't require stars.
To enable night mode, simply visit the group 'Background' from any node network's groups list at the left, highlight the group container box and hit key 'D'. This will disable the day mode and enable the night mode in a single click.

You'll see here in this empty sky shot that there are now faintly multicoloured stars.
[attachimg=#]

[attachimg=#]

Thanks for looking/downloading! :)

Hello dandelO,

Thank you for sharing! I was wondering what the limit with the copyright is? Is it Creative Commons or free to use? How about commercially?