How do I make Stones NOT on Stones?

Started by cyphyr, February 24, 2007, 08:19:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Victor

Sea stones can be made well, but now I cannot receive the realistic form of stones in mountains? :-[
It would be desirable to receive realistic sharp angular stones (with sharp enough sides) (such, as in mountains where there is no strong influence of water of a sea surf). There are ideas?

Volker Harun

Hi Victor,

fmtoffolo has posted a wonderful tutorial in this thread. He uses displacements on his stones. It is just a matter of scaling the fractal up for getting sharp shaped stones.

Regards, Volker Harun ;)

Victor

I try, but I do not receive good result. Forms of stones turn out sometimes interesting, but it not "real" stones.  :(

Volker Harun

Hi Victor,
when you have the default shader attached to the fake stone - go to the displacement tab.
Set the displacement multiplier to -1.
In the displacement function add a new power fractal shader - open this new one and got to the colour tab.
Enable here 'Apply high colour' and 'Apply low colour', set the colour contrast to 1.
The most important setting now is the colour roughness. Set it to about 1 or less for decent results.

You can set the lead in scale to about 100 and smallest scale to 0.1 for finer details.

Volker Harun

rcallicotte

Victor, I love what you've done. 

fmtoffolo, I watched your tutorial but it's sort of small.  Anyway, I appreciate your input in the post here and have learned from that.  As well, I learned from BigBen on masking and it appears to be working as I want it.

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

cyphyr

Thanks for all the replies guys. I can now achive the results I'm looking for with two layers of stones (not too haard) but if I use more than that I seem to have to make a choice between which layer of stones I use as a mask, since the blend layer dose not have any way of using two or more layers as inputs. Its cirtainly got me stumped.
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

rcallicotte

You can feed your stones in order (smaller into larger) through the inputs and then put your mask on the Blending Shader of each of your fake stone nodes.  I don't have it here or I could show you.  If you don't figure it out by tonight, I can send a picture of what I've done.

Or am I misunderstanding you?

fmtoffolo

I uploaded a video tutorial to my blog. http://terragenfmtoffolo.blogspot.com

And regarding the type of rock you want, realistic or not, that depeneds entirely on the kind of fractal you use and the amount of tweaking you want to make. IMO most fractals give good results(it mostly depends on how much you displacement you use...).
And of course, the masking thing, i'm sure there are tons of ways to do it, i just made a tut about one of them.
bye
fer
My Terragenn site
www.cgworlds.com.ar

rcallicotte

Here's a sketch of what I've done and it works okay.  The mask is using a texture behind it, which is the red you can see.  The fake stones come through that part.

cyphyr

Well I finally sussed out the Stones Layering issue:

Important Note (the mask layer taken from the previous stones layer must have its colour vairation turned OFF). I've attached the tgs file for anyone else as dim as myself :) One issue remains (not a big one) it would appear that when stones lay on the boundary of the heigher stone shader the masking can cause unwanted "cut off?" artifacts. I reccon this is a small problem and could probably be solved by setting a different seed number for the affected layer.

I do have one final question about fake stones. What dose Separate Geometry do? Every time I enable it the stone layer becomes invisable, is this a function still waiting to be enabled?
Thanks once again guys
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Oshyan

Ignore the "separate geometry" option for now. ;D

- Oshyan

EBAndrew

Hate to revive this, but...

So using these methods (cyphr's has been the successful one for me so far) how would one include slope and altitude masking, since the final blend shader is being inverted? I didn't see anything mentioned on it in the thread so it has to be something really simple, but I can't for the life of me figure it out.

I've tried everything I could think of - inverting the surface layer attached to the stones mask, but to no avail.
-Andrew

Kevin F

Take a look at this method that Frank B suggested:
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=3796.msg41840#msg41840

Don't know if it will enable you to include slope and alt masking though, but worth a try.

inkydigit

Quote from: EBAndrew on June 24, 2008, 11:32:47 AM
Hate to revive this, but...

So using these methods (cyphr's has been the successful one for me so far) how would one include slope and altitude masking, since the final blend shader is being inverted? I didn't see anything mentioned on it in the thread so it has to be something really simple, but I can't for the life of me figure it out.

I've tried everything I could think of - inverting the surface layer attached to the stones mask, but to no avail.
just keep your stones as child layers of a slope/alt restricted surface layer?

Seth