Parse error

Started by reck, February 23, 2010, 06:04:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

reck

When I open my project file i'm getting a "Parse error at line 3739: not well-formed (invalid token). If I try and render i'm not getting the scene I was before. All the clouds have gone, the camera has moved and it looks like some of the objects aren't showing up now.

I've not added any new objects to the scene for a day or so, just changed rendering settings so i'm not sure what could have caused it.

I'm using Windows 7 x64.

Can anyone shed any light on what this error means and what's caused it, is it user error or a bug? Also is there any fix?

I've been using the incremental save feature so I could go back to an earlier version if I have to.


jo

Hi,

Email me the file at:

jomeder@planetside.co.uk

and I'll have a look at it. The most likely problem is that you have a non-ASCII letter or symbol in either a node name or a file path. The most usual cause is an accented letter.

Regards,

Jo

nikita

I hope this will be fixed someday.
New people run into this stupid bug all the time and not being able to open a file that worked yesterday probably puts off people too.

ASCII fails at most languages. In fact, the only language I can think of that can be written in ascii, besides English, is Dutch.

jo

Hi nikita,

Quote from: nikita on February 23, 2010, 08:42:10 pm
I hope this will be fixed someday.
New people run into this stupid bug all the time and not being able to open a file that worked yesterday probably puts off people too.

ASCII fails at most languages. In fact, the only language I can think of that can be written in ascii, besides English, is Dutch.


At some point we will support Unicode, in fact this year I would hope, and it won't be a problem. I'm rather embarassed we don't support Unicode already. However language-wise TG2 only supports English at this time.

We have taken steps so it will be more difficult to add unsupported characters in the next public release.

Regards,

Jo

reck

Thanks Jo, i'll email the file when I get home from work.

I did open the file in notepad to have a look at the line mentioned in the error message and it contained a path to one of the objects in the file. The object had been in the project for a while though so it seems strange though that it would suddenly start complaining when it opened fine the day before.

reck

Jo when I loaded up your amended file it crashed terragen but as you tracked down the cause of the problem I renamed the folder to just wild daisys and changed the relevant line in the project file and it now works, so thanks for tracking down the problematic character.

I'm curious though why this didn't crop up earlier, that object had been loaded into project for the last few revisions but I didn't experience this problem until I reached revision 14.