Tiff files crash Terragen

Started by MGebhart, February 25, 2010, 02:59:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MGebhart

Whenever I use a tiff with alpha file for leaf specularity or displacement it crashes Terragen 2. Color and translucency works fine.

Any thoughts.

Marc
Marc Gebhart

Oshyan

I'm not able to confirm here. Have you tried several different TIFF files? Can you perhaps send the ones that are causing the problem? Note that there are several options besides alpha that can cause problems, like compression or byte order.

- Oshyan

MGebhart

Thanks Oshyan,

I'll try different compression and byte size on this end to see if I can correct the problem. If not, I'll send you an object with the textures to see if it goes south on your end.

Thanks,

Marc
Marc Gebhart

Oshyan

Thanks. You can send it to support AT planetside.co.uk

- Oshyan

MGebhart

Oshyan,

Problem solved.

Thanks for you assistance.

Marc
Marc Gebhart

MGebhart

The issue was solved by changing the bits per channel and compression of the .tiff image. (Photoshop CS4 v.11.0)

The example is a leaf image (nd_07Leafo2.tiff) using Walli's Noble One. This will be used for a displacement map.

First I change the mode to gray scale to remove the color information. Grayscale / 32Bits/Channel (image 1)

Then save the image using the settings in image 2 with a name of nd_07Leafo2DISP.tiff .

This will eliminate the crash when you use it as a displacement map or specular map.

Marc
Marc Gebhart

jo

Hi Marc,

It shouldn't crash though, just not load the image if it isn't a TIFF variant which TG2 supports.

Regards,

Jo

MGebhart

Jo,

It depends. I have had a .tiff crash Terragen. I'll figure which settings did it and post it. Also, I have had them just not load and gave me an error, I think on bit depth. Again, I'll let you know.

Marc
Marc Gebhart

jo

Hi Marc,

Just to clarify, I don't disbelieve that you had a crash. What I meant was that TG2 shouldn't crash because it's loading a variant it doesn't support directly. Not "doesn't crash" but "shouldn't crash" :-). As a general principle TG2 shouldn't crash, which is what we aim for, but it really shouldn't crash in this particular situation. It should just let you know it can't load the image, as you've found with some of the bit depths it doesn't support.

Did you send a problematic TIFF file to the support address? If you didn't, could you please send me one personally at:

jomeder@planetside.co.uk

It probably doesn't need to be too big, just in the format you were have trouble with.

Regards,

Jo

MGebhart

Jo,

Yes I will. I will be home around 9:30 am Mountain Time and I take care of this first thing.

Thanks,

Marc
Marc Gebhart