Random water every time project is opened

Started by stunnedmullet, February 25, 2007, 09:27:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stunnedmullet

Hi,

I'm trying to do a simple scene with clouds and water. Every time the project file is opened I get a different look to the water i.e. position of waves/surface effects. This is particularly annoying because the camera is positioned near to the water surface and these changes are very noticeable. The clouds and atmosphere render with repeatability but not the water. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a bug?

I notice that the water shader has no setting for a random number, unlike many of the other shaders, so I guess it generates its own settings. I believe that "Water" is going to get an update in the coming releases so hopefully this will be fixed.

Cheers,
Paul

Oshyan

Hi Paul,

Unfortunately this is a known bug and there is no way to work around it at this time aside from simply definining the water's shape with an external shader (like a Power Fractal) which then loses the "patchiness" effects that add realism. However a fix will be included in the next update, which also implements a way to set the random seed in the water shader.

- Oshyan

stunnedmullet

Thanks Oshyan. That's good news - looking forward to it!

Paul