Help for a complete novice

Started by baizewizard, March 01, 2010, 04:17:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

baizewizard

Hi Guys

Just recently discovered T2 and I am absolutely blown away by the program.
Decided that I want to create some of these amazing scenes myself.
I like the off-world type of stuff mainly, in particular Mark Edward's amazing artwork.

Anyhoo.... I have been grabbing as many tuts as possible and learning the basics for the last couple of weeks.
Quite a learning curve!

I have a question which is doubtless easy answerable by you guys but I am struggling a bit as a newbie.
I figured that if I download a couple of clip files that have been generously uploaded by others I could put them into one of my own basic scenes as a way of learning how they influence.

However, I can't figure how to connect the nodes in the node window (d'oh! moment).
For instance, very basically, if I donwload say, an ice and snow tgc, which should obviously be connected to the shader group, how do I make that basic connection?

Sorry to ask something that is very basic I'm sure but hey, we all have to start somewhere.

All the very best

Tim

Tangled-Universe

Welcome to the forums!

This question is being asked quite often and the answer lies more or less in the essence of TG2's workflow with nodes.

Each node has an input-port on the far left and an output at the bottom center.
A scene is being built up from top to bottom. The bottom node ultimately connects to the planet-node (gray).
The top node(s) create the terrain and displacements, then the texturing. Hence the groupnodes "terrain" and "shaders".

Clipfiles are usually built up in a similar way.
Depending on what kind of clipfile it is you have to connect it in between shaders present in the terrain-group or shaders-group.

So with the stuff above in mind you can import your clipfile, locate the "bottom" node which has nothing attached to the input-port and connect an output of your shadernetwork to this input. Let's call this "shader 1". Connect the output of the clipfile to the input of the shader where "shader 1" originally was connected to.
You now have built your clipfile in your project.

Please keep in mind that sometimes clipfiles can contain restrictions regarding height and slope and therefore may not be visible at first glance.

Good luck and I hope to see your work soon.

Cheers,
Martin

baizewizard

Martin

Thanks so much for your reply.
I'll read this at some length and have a play.
I look forward to getting some feedback on my first ventures!

Thanks again

Tim

Henry Blewer

We all love to see each others work. Welcome!
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

baizewizard

Thanks very much.

One question guys.
Would you advise creating my terrain files from within T2 to start with or get to grips with another generator such as World Machine and import?

I am particularly interested as I said in the more outlandish sort of formations.

Tim

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: baizewizard on March 01, 2010, 09:48:17 AM
Thanks very much.

One question guys.
Would you advise creating my terrain files from within T2 to start with or get to grips with another generator such as World Machine and import?

I am particularly interested as I said in the more outlandish sort of formations.

Tim

I'd definitely do it within TG2 self.
First TG2 has excellent terrain generation possibilities, although WM2 is a bit more versatile and offers more possibilities in regard to drawing and placing landscape-features.
Second, by doing this it will save you money ;)
Third, and maybe most important, it will in the meantime improve your understanding TG2 better.

Cheers,
Martin

baizewizard

Thanks Martin

Good advice.
I'll learn as much as I can within T2.

Henry Blewer

I second Martin. There are endless possibilities using the native Terragen 2 landscape generation tools. Most of us have barely touched what can be done.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T