The Sun

Started by rcallicotte, February 25, 2007, 03:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gradient

@angealus...just go the the sunlight tab and adjust your heading and elevation.

MeltingIce

Put the elevation of the sun at 1-3 degrees and watch what happens  :P
If you have some high elevation clouds, try putting the sun at -1 to -3 degress for some strong cloud lighting.

MeltingIce Network | Wii Number: 3881 9574 8304 0277

vissroid

Quote from: Will on February 25, 2007, 03:47:54 PM
but I wonder fi you deleted the sun and put ina light with a really really high intencity of you could do the same thing.

Regards,

Will

This would probably screw with the rnder time...I mean i think it would by my experiance with lights in comarison to something that just hits the planet from far away. but then I've used a light to make the dark side of a planet glow. not sure if there was a render time change tho.

Will

Well I've been playing around with it and it seems to work quite well and without adding any consiterable amount of render time. I'm now thinking of making en entire soler system for people to explore, well most ly me but I'll share it with you guys.

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Arandil

Quote from: Will on February 26, 2007, 05:38:05 PM
Well I've been playing around with it and it seems to work quite well and without adding any consiterable amount of render time. I'm now thinking of making en entire soler system for people to explore, well most ly me but I'll share it with you guys.

Regards,

Will

If you get the gumption, render out some orthographic texture maps and build a solar system in Orbiter!   ;D

Will

Thats a great idea, I should have though of that!

Regards,

Will

Will

OK so here is a sence of scale for the light I'm talking about here, the white thing is the lights the pink pixol is the default planet....yes I realize its quite small compaired to the sun, but it is the default size, only change was to make it pink.
Regards,

Will

Oshyan

I'd definitely expect it to be a lot bigger - about 1.3 million Earth's could fit inside the Sun. Or, put another way, the Sun is about 110 times bigger (diameter) than the Earth. The reason so many could fit inside is of course the ratio of diameter to volume. ;D

Cool experiment anyway.

- Oshyan

Will

110 times you say, well I just just did the equvilent to the size of the defualt planet and well lets just say it is big...REALLY REALLY BIG!
so big infact that its radious is largers then the lights that its tranismits, so right now its just a gray sphere. :(

Regards,

Will

Will

OK here is anouther example this time taking into account what Oshyan said. Just a note we are closer to the planet then to the sun.

light sourse radius: 7.0158e+008

strength: 4e+020

its pretty big.

P.S. you need to expand the image to see everything.

Regards,

Will

rcallicotte

Will, you're still onto something.  Cool.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

old_blaggard

This is going pretty well.  Now all we need is a realistic sun object to place over the light source, and we've got ourselves one fine looking space render :D.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

rcallicotte

I saw a place somewhere this last week that had a sun object...spherical, too.  If I can find it...
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Will

What would be crazy is if one day the stars in our images where acualy places. But for right now I'm justing making a solar system ;)

Regards,

Will

Oshyan

You can probably find a spherically projected sun texture image to put over that sun object and make it luminous. Of course technically the sun is so bright it would just be a big bright area in any image actually taken in space, so you'd never be able to see such detail unless your exposure is *extremely* reduced. But hey, realism isn't always the best way. ;D

- Oshyan