Which is faster -- individual objects or same number in population?

Started by gregsandor, March 05, 2010, 03:13:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gregsandor

I have a lot of telegraph poles to place.  Will I take a hit in render time if I hand place them versus using several masked populations (one for each direction they face) or will they render in about the same time?

Henry Blewer

The population now has an array function built in. Just adjust the a,b below the spacing inputs. A painted shader may help also.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

gregsandor

Spacing isnt the concern; I always use them with painted masks to control placement, but here it is the rotation that I care about:  some will be at 0 some at 90 some at 50.   How does the new array control operate? I guess I could use that instead of a mask to create lines of poles?

Will hand placed individual objects render in about the same time as equivalent sized populations?

Henry Blewer

There is a rotation settings also. In the population settings, go to the rotation tab. The rotation of the objects can be set there.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

bobbystahr

Quote from: gregsandor on March 05, 2010, 05:20:02 AM
Spacing isnt the concern; I always use them with painted masks to control placement, but here it is the rotation that I care about:  some will be at 0 some at 90 some at 50.   How does the new array control operate? I guess I could use that instead of a mask to create lines of poles?

Will hand placed individual objects render in about the same time as equivalent sized populations?

I'm only guessing but I'd say you'll take a huge hit placing individual poles as opposed to a pop which is one polygon mesh object, invisible to the render at 0/0/0. instancing as many as you've specified...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Oshyan

The population will be much lower in memory use, generally speaking. But these being simple "poles", they may not be very high poly or high memory use anyway.

- Oshyan