Rectangular Noise

Started by Hetzen, March 09, 2010, 11:28:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

j meyer

Yes Michael,the box was a cylinder this time.
SSS set to be circular to be precise.
Have to inspect it some more myself,was the last quick
test before I went to bed yesterday,but,indeed,it should
work in every direction.

choronr

Quote from: TheBadger on November 08, 2014, 12:19:22 PM
Thank you Mogn. I will read the bio!

@Bob,
I was trying too! Could not find the geology term. I am absolutely sure that there is a word for everything we want to define. We need a geologist here!

You won't find these formations everywhere. It must have something to do with the weather (rain/snow, freezing/thawing; and, the composition of minerals of the rock). Some of these are younger; i.e., a formation appears a bit more solid with multi-directional cracks that have smooth, rounded edges. The older ones seem to have rounded boulders that have fallen away from the main formation. Yes, a geologist amongst us would be very helpful.

@J
Very nice demonstration! But are the corners "fixed" by the new noise? Or did you make the raised box a cylinder this time?? It appears to be working in every direction?

AP

Quote from: choronr on November 08, 2014, 11:26:58 AM
Quote from: j meyer on November 08, 2014, 10:28:00 AM
And a bit of progress on my side,too.
Still Jon's noise.
[attach=1]
This is almost exactly the types of rock forms one sees in various parts of Arizona and Nevada. I Googled questions as to what type of geological rock formations these are but could not find the answer.

Hoodoos and hoodoo rocks, referred to locally as "goblins", which are formations of mushroom-shaped rock pinnacles, some as high as several meters. The distinct shape of these rocks comes from an erosion-resistant layer of rock atop softer sandstone.

TheBadger

QuoteFor you math-heads, there are several handy new Function Nodes in 3.2 as well. You'll be able to experiment with Max Scalar, Min Scalar, Soft Maximum Scalar, Soft Minimum Scalar, adding several important capabilities to your advanced shader networks.
From the update notes.

Does this help here? Sounds like it does, but Im not a "math head". It sounds like it gives more control. Has anyone had a chance to explore this in the context of the perfect rectangular noise?

@ matt
You sounded like you were on to something a few pages back. Any news?
It has been eaten.

Matt

@Badger, I plan to experiment more in this area for TG4.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Hannes

TG4!! This sounds like celestial music... ;)

Dune

bla bla 2