Trees for Terragen 2 is LIVE

Started by MGebhart, March 10, 2010, 02:39:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Upon Infinity

Quote from: jaf on August 10, 2012, 06:31:23 PM
Quote from: UponInfinity on August 10, 2012, 02:18:57 PM
By the way, how is lightwave for modelling?  Is it particularly easy to use?

Lightwave is great, especially for hard surface modeling.  Combine it with the LWCAD plugin and it really shines for architectural modeling.  There's some nice examples here: http://www.wtools3d.com/gallery.php

I think it's easy to use, but it comes down to personnel preference.

What about getting LW designs into Terragen?  And texturing?  Do you texture in LW and then import.  Or must you texture in Terragen?

jaf

I usually texture in Lightwave -- mostly image maps or simple diffuse colors .  I use Seamless Texture Generator Pro quite a bit for things like stucco, metals, flooring, etc. to make them seamless.  And then Shadermap 2 to make the specular, normal, and displacement maps.  I apply these in Lightwave. 

Then I use the free Poseray program to import the Lightwave model.  Poseray is great for checking/correcting geometry and gathering all the texture maps.  Then I export it as a package into a Terragen "data" folder (this is the .obj and .jpg texture maps.)  So I have all my originals in my Lightwave content directory and my new obj and copies of the texture maps in my Terragen folder.  Poseray has the option to limit (convert) the size of the texture maps to say 512 pixels (many times it makes no sense to use high resolution maps on objects that won't render very large, and a good seamless map can look just as good at a lower resolution.)

On thing nice about lightwave is, if you build a model that's 10 meters tall, it will import into Terragen and be 10 meters tall.  If you build it to set on the zero point (y axis) in Lightwave, it will import to the zero point (y axis) in Terragen.  The x and z axis match too.  This allows you to build an object at a certain x/y/z in Lightwave, then build another object at a specific spot relative to the first object, and then import each separately into Terragen and the positions are maintained.  Hope that makes sense.

(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

PeanutMocha

Looks like web.me.com closed down.

Is there a new download URL?

pixelpusher636

I Haven't heard so much as a peep myself...  ???
The more I use Terragen, the more I realize the world is not so small.

Oshyan

Unfortunately Marc hasn't been on the forums since June 16th. Hopefully all is well and he's just busy, as is so often the case for all of us.

- Oshyan

pixelpusher636

Thanks Oshyan for the info. I find it troubling to see people once very active on here just fade away. As you said though. Probably just got busy.
The more I use Terragen, the more I realize the world is not so small.