.dem Georeference

Started by gregsandor, March 12, 2010, 03:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gregsandor

Matt -- I'm using a Geotiff .dem as heightfield and it's georeferenced.  When I start TG the Georef box on left of the dialog is checked on by default and when it is, the heightfield is flat.  Can you guys fix this please.

RArcher

Not noticing anything broken about this here.  Perhaps you didn't adjust the lat/long at apex value?

gregsandor

It isnt the values I'm concerned with.  The .dem is Georeferenced from file. That works fine.  When I open the .tgd, every time, the check to the left of that box is ticked by default and causes the heightfield to not display.  That's the problem.

RArcher

Strange. I cannot duplicate that at all.  I loaded in a geotiff downloaded directly from seamless.usgs.gov.  Saved, closed and reopened, everything is still displaying as expected.  Both checkboxes are ticked.

gregsandor

Do you have it Auto georeffed from file when you save it?

RArcher

Yes,  my steps are from a fresh file:

Add terrain - Load file - georeferenced .tiff file
Adjust value at apex so I can see the heightfield in the viewport
Move the camera to a noticeable feature
Save
Quit
Reload
The heightfield is still visible in the viewport window and both georeference and Auto Georeference from file are checked.

Any chance you manually edited the georeference fields after you loaded your file? Reopening the file will cause those to revert to what was originally saved in the geotiff.  (This is a problem I have had using UTM georeferenced files.

Two possible solutions would be to not auto-georeference and instead just type in the correct values, or save the .dem as a .ter file.

gregsandor

I just built and loaded it from a blank .tgd and the same thing happens when I save and reopen:  the Manually Georeference box is checked and the heightfield is flat.

What's odd is that the field is set to zero here but it still opens "On."

</heightfield_shader>
   <heightfield_load
      name = "Heightfield load 01"
      gui_use_node_pos = "1"
      gui_node_pos = "-920 700 0"
      gui_group = ""
      input_node = ""
      read_from_file = "1"
      filename = "Terrain\Diner Terrain\Region Terrain\DEM\17309831.tif"
      georeference = "0"
      auto_georeference_from_file = "1"
      NW_corner_lat_long = "40.31439815 -86.76939815"
      NE_corner_lat_long = "40.31439815 -86.62736111"
      SE_corner_lat_long = "40.19217593 -86.62736111"
      SW_corner_lat_long = "40.19217593 -86.76939815"
      new_heightfield = "0"
      size_in_pixels = "1000 1000"
      size_in_metres = "10000 10000"
      >

Oshyan

Are you sure it's not the default *generated* heightfield bounding box you're seeing and that your heightfield is not off somewhere else on the planet due to georeferencing?

- Oshyan

gregsandor

All I have to do to turn it on is uncheck the left-hand box.  It doesn't seem to be anywhere else, just flat. 

Oshyan

Is it possible the terrain you've got is just kind of flat? Or is it well and truly 0 altitude across the whole of it, level with the terrain?

- Oshyan

gregsandor

It is Indiana, and it is very flat, but there is a difference between Indiana flat and zero elevation. :)  When that box is ticked the elevation is zero, when I uncheck it the ground level goes back up to 46 m.  The heightfield is not read at all with it on.

Oshyan

Can you share the terrain somehow?

- Oshyan