Having issues importting OBJ's

Started by tmoney, March 09, 2010, 10:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmoney

I've been having some serious trouble importing obj files that have MAT definition files available.

First part is that texture maps are not properly referenced and are errorring.  What I've discovered is that any image files that has a space in the file name gets truncated at that point.  Any way to resolve this?  On one import test, I did the manual labor of fixing this by renaming the dozens of image files and also editting the MAT file in a text editor.  (Trying to do this manually in Terragen2 still seems to not correctly save the path to the image either, something to do with forward slashes vs. backward slashes, it uses one, but likes the other.)

The second part is that it only reads the color map definitions and completely disregards transparency, bump and specular maps when available.  Too bad the obj file does not record displacement maps.

Is there any way to get a more complete obj importer?  Also, whatever happened to plans for supportting importing FBX files?  FBX would be important to me to import pre-animated figures and objects, cameras and lights from applications that can produce them.

bobbystahr

With the exception of the FBX issue most of this ans been dealt with previously in other threads...try a search on 'object importing problems'.. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

tmoney

Thank you, I hadn't looked before to see if others had asked.  Was able to find a link to a script that solved my obj issues.

bobbystahr

Good to hear...progress is good...in most cases.. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Oshyan

We are still planning to implement FBX this year. This should bring with it improvements to OBJ and MTL support as well.

- Oshyan

tmoney

Very glad to hear this!   Thank you ;D