From cotton wool to cumulonimbus!

Started by twistednoodle, February 26, 2007, 06:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twistednoodle

Ok I'm going for the chunky storm cloud thing (lots of billows) - but can't get beyond the cotton wool (see attached) - any ideas?

Also does anyone know how the feature scale, lead-in scale (what does this mean) and noise octaves affect your cloud...... (admittedly have seen Oshyan explain the noise before but can't remember).

Thanking you profusely in advance .....  :)
I may be crazy but at least I'm not crazy!

twistednoodle

Ok getting somewhere now .... reduced the feature scale to about 900, reduced the lead in scale to 8 and reduced the smallest scale to .02.  Cranked up the warp a bit and got this! Still not quite cumulo-nimbus though.  BTW the 500 x 300 took 25 mins to render, so this is a SLOW process! I'd be grateful for some tips re more realism! ;D
I may be crazy but at least I'm not crazy!

old_blaggard

Feature scale is the average size of the features of the fractal.  Lead-in scale is the maximum size, and smallest scale is the smallest size.  To get the cumulonimbus look, try looking at the appropriate thread started by Luc Bianco ;).

EDIT: And I see, upon looking at the forums, that you have found Luc's thread ;).
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

oggyb

Quote from: old_blaggard on February 26, 2007, 11:13:38 PM
Feature scale is the average size of the features of the fractal.  Lead-in scale is the maximum size, and smallest scale is the smallest size.  To get the cumulonimbus look, try looking at the appropriate thread started by Luc Bianco ;).

EDIT: And I see, upon looking at the forums, that you have found Luc's thread ;).

If Lead-in is the maximum size, then how come most of those cloud features are bigger than 8?  They look rather good to me.

M.

old_blaggard

QuoteIf Lead-in is the maximum size, then how come most of those cloud features are bigger than 8?
Well, his feature scale (average scale) was at 900, so strange things can happen when your average is higher than your maximum.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.