multiple shaders to the fakestone

Started by kevnar, March 19, 2010, 08:41:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevnar

I seem to remember being able to add multiple shaders to the fakestones. Now with 2.1, you can only add one and any additional shaders you add replace the one you already set up. Am I mistaken or has something changed in the new version?

Second question, whether this is a new issue or not, how do I add multiple shaders to the fakestones in 2.1?

Henry Blewer

You can still do this. Build the shaders in a new tree. When you are ready to attach them to the fake stones shader, assign the last node of the shaders tree to the Surface Shader at the top of the fake stones shader.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

kevnar

:-[

OK. I actually figured this out on my own, just by dragging node lines around in the node network. I chained a bunch of powerfractals together, output to input, leading down to the shader function of my fakestones. Each one added a different speckle of colour to the stone. The effect is pretty nice.

choronr

Quote from: kevnar on March 19, 2010, 09:09:07 PM
:-[

OK. I actually figured this out on my own, just by dragging node lines around in the node network. I chained a bunch of powerfractals together, output to input, leading down to the shader function of my fakestones. Each one added a different speckle of colour to the stone. The effect is pretty nice.
Sounds good. Would like to see a cropped render of the stones along with a shot of your node tree.

kevnar

This pattern is based on a boulder near my work. I was just trying to see if I could replicate it in Terragen.

choronr

Quote from: kevnar on March 19, 2010, 10:17:11 PM
This pattern is based on a boulder near my work. I was just trying to see if I could replicate it in Terragen.
This looks very good. I will have to try it. Of course an image map is pretty easy; but, with this method, you can customize until you get exactly what you want - like luminosity/reflectivity etc. Thank you for sharing.

Bob

Dune

Perhaps add this: the top one (here; black base) could be two colors, but the other ones can only have one color, or they override the first one. For interesting patterns you could add a merge shader and try the different settings, along with a colour adjust, where you play with black and white points.

And one or more of the Power fractals can be blended by again another shader... etc.

kevnar

Quote from: Dune on March 20, 2010, 03:54:36 AM
Perhaps add this: the top one (here; black base) could be two colors, but the other ones can only have one color, or they override the first one. For interesting patterns you could add a merge shader and try the different settings, along with a colour adjust, where you play with black and white points.

And one or more of the Power fractals can be blended by again another shader... etc.

That's sort of what I did. Black base was a brown/black mixture and the displacement setting. Then each of the speckle fractals was one colour, scattered across the surface with a high-contrast/low-offset color setting. The scales were very small too.

Overall, I don't like the look of it. It looks more like a hunk of meat than a rock, but I was just experimenting. I'll try again when I have more time.