OBJ Convertor

Started by bobbystahr, February 27, 2007, 10:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Quote from: SeerBlue on March 06, 2007, 08:25:09 PM
Poseray does agreat job of converting 3ds files to obj, which open and render without crashes, BUT, you have to make 2 changes in Poseray's groups tab, under the faces,vertices and normals tab, first click Drop y = 0, and then to the right of that under scale and rotation reference point click origin, then all that needs to be done is click the green check mark to update the file before exporting as an object.
If you don't do this all the objects, or at least the ones I have experimented with, will be about half submerged in the surface. SeerBlue
Thanks for those 2 tips....was wondering how to fix that.. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

bobbystahr

Well the upshot of this thread for me so far is this image. It uses plants that are free at:
http://3dp2.0catch.com/weeds1.html
I have converted the whole weeds section and would post the .tgo files but am unsure if that would be legal. If an Admin sees this please advise...thanx
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Oshyan

Nice work Bobby.

In regards to posting the converted objects, I would suggesting contacting the 3DPlant content author(s) to ask for permission. Drew, who I have spoken to in the past, is a very good fellow and I'm sure you can work something out with him, either to post the new format to his own site, or allow you to mirror them elsewhere in TGO format. You can find the contact info here: http://3dplants.0catch.com/contact.html

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

Quote from: Oshyan on March 12, 2007, 07:54:12 PM
Nice work Bobby.

In regards to posting the converted objects, I would suggesting contacting the 3DPlant content author(s) to ask for permission. Drew, who I have spoken to in the past, is a very good fellow and I'm sure you can work something out with him, either to post the new format to his own site, or allow you to mirror them elsewhere in TGO format. You can find the contact info here: http://3dplants.0catch.com/contact.html

- Oshyan

Thanks man...just fired off  a rather verbose missive to him, LOL, dunno what's gotten into me lately....
I should hear from him soon. Gave him a link to this page to see the image and also my Renderosity Gallery where I've posted the same thing cuz I wasn't sure if he could see this without registering and didn't want to make him 'jump thru hoops'. Here's another version with Fake Stones as well.. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Oshyan

He'll be able to read the posts here but won't see the images unless he registers.

- Oshyan

latego

Quote from: bobbystahr on February 28, 2007, 07:28:59 PM
     I'd just like to say her a thankful "Tip Of The Hat"  to alexcoppo at the Vue Forum at Renderosity for bringing this app to light. I don't know a lot of POV Ray users and may never have tumbled onto it without his posting  about it there.. ...

All right, I will write a tutorial about OBJ files, the meaning of their content, how they behave in different apps and how to handle them. Armed with this information, you will be able to model using a text editor  ;)

(B.T.W. Renderosity alexcoppo corresponds to Planetside latego)

Bye!!!!!

bobbystahr

All right, I will write a tutorial about OBJ files, the meaning of their content, how they behave in different apps and how to handle them. Armed with this information, you will be able to model using a text editor  ;)

(B.T.W. Renderosity alexcoppo corresponds to Planetside latego)

Bye!!!!!

jeepers, don't know if I want to go that far into verbosity, LOL, but will absorb it anyhow. Nice to meet you here latego and thanx in person sort of...this app has been a true blessing for a person with no app to create .obj files, bobbystahr stays the same everywhere...it's the only way I can keep it straight, heh heh heh, I'm a 58 yr old freezer, that's a freek-geezer.. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Mandrake

Has anyone else noticed that after running Drews 3ds models through blender and creating a tgo that your tests leave the plants a few inches deeper in the default terrain then you'd like them?
Maybe you've covered this, and I missed it. If you make an altitude adjustment before saving as tgo will that be be reflected in the tgo?

bobbystahr

Quote from: Mandrake on March 13, 2007, 05:24:43 PM
Has anyone else noticed that after running Drews 3ds models through blender and creating a tgo that your tests leave the plants a few inches deeper in the default terrain then you'd like them?
Maybe you've covered this, and I missed it. If you make an altitude adjustment before saving as tgo will that be be reflected in the tgo?

Try this from SeerBlue's post a few down, PoseRay is free by the way:
quote:
Poseray does agreat job of converting 3ds files to obj, which open and render without crashes, BUT, you have to make 2 changes in Poseray's groups tab, under the faces,vertices and normals tab, first click Drop y = 0, and then to the right of that under scale and rotation reference point click origin, then all that needs to be done is click the green check mark to update the file before exporting as an object.
If you don't do this all the objects, or at least the ones I have experimented with, will be about half submerged in the surface. SeerBlue
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Mandrake

Bobby, with blender no adjustments are necessary, import export done. I rather stay away from yet another modeling program if at all possible. Were the two adjustment due to altitude?

bobbystahr

I think they [those 2 operations] conspire to put the axis at the bottom of the object. Adjusting the .tgo's altitude before saving does nada as it always seems to save at 0,0,0. This is likely due to TG2's method of populating as it needs the populating objects in the same place at the start. Just what I figure anyhow, don't know for sure. PoseRay is a small app and very useful with zero to learn, I use it only as a convertor,with the previous instructions all I know about it, LOL, I hope that's not dis-respectful to the creators but that's all I need it for.. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bigben

I tend to agree on this one. I've had models exported from both Blender and/or Wings that have crashed TG, but exporting the same models from PoseRay gave no problems at all... and correctly setting the object base is a big help.

Mandrake

Well I caved in and tried poseray and it was an easy process! Thanks :)

DeathTwister

Hay all,

OK, I have not only got all your ideas to get things worked out in this post and the other one I posted on, but I also found another way to get them in if anyone is using XSI 6 softimage?

What I did was export out from 3ds Max using the exporter dotXSI file to SoftImage. I had been working on a Dragon as I am moving most my Dev from 3ds max to XSI and  I saw that it had a .obj exporter itself so curiosity got the better of me and I exported out the mesh and then low and behold it dropped into Terragen 2 so slick it was scary.
I just needed to do the fix that Seerblue shared and Monks then resave the scene file and repoint the texture file.  Which I am not sure is needed after you resave the scene but I did it anyway just to make sure. /smiles.
So what I ended up with was this scene I did and now I am starting to have some real fun with this software. /winks...I added more ram to get up to 2 gigs anyway and just downloaded the update version of TG2, I hope to have a killer weekend with TG2 and some Guild Wars I think this weekend. /chuckles.

The Dragon Necropolis deep in the Eskarp Mountains

anyway I thank all of you guys for the help and now I am jamma jammaing so I good. /smiles.......
DeathTwister
Maylock Aromy DeathTwister Stansbury
ATOMIX Productions

Mandrake

Nice DT, looking forward to viewing your renders!!  :o