Sunlight rays passing through my terrain

Started by fandalis, March 25, 2010, 05:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fandalis

Good day!
I'm making an animated environment fly-through and i want to keep my sun elevation to 15 so it will create sun rays. already finished setting up the scene but when i test rendered it the sun rays are passing through the mountains. i think a possible cause is the heightfield adjust vertical node coz i need the mountains to be high. is there some tweak for this so i don't get this render results from the sun rays. i'm in a deadline now and i can't afford to redo the project again. thanks and hope for your kind reply.

ps. attached is the terragen file and an image capture of the scene.

thanks again

Tangled-Universe

You need to enable "ray traced shadows" in your atmosphere node.
Be warned that it will take a lot more rendertime, so there's a chance you might have to say goodbye to your deadline if it also involves rendering :)

fandalis

yep, thanks. that fixed it. also tripled my render time in quick render... i don't know how much in my final render.

fandalis

another question... already fixed the leaking sun rays through the terrain but the look i was going for is not now visible, i mean the sun rays. is there a way i can bring this back without it leaking again through the terrain. thanks a lot again!

here are two screen captures. first with ray traced shadows disabled and the second when it's on.

Tangled-Universe

Bummer. Unfortunately that's the price you're paying for increasing the accuray of calculations, since that's what you basically did with enabling the raytrace option in the atmosphere.
You might try to increase haze density along with bluesky density in your atmosphere node to make the sky thicker. This way you have bigger chance of seeing rays.
Con is that you'll need a bit more samples to avoid grain.

fandalis

ok, will try that. thanks again for your kind reply.

Oshyan

It looks like the area where the rays were is now in shadow due to the terrain casting shadows into the atmosphere. Changing sun position might help as the fundamental environment for having rays is still there, it's just a matter of the right light occlusion...

- Oshyan