UV templates for .tgo

Started by gregsandor, May 07, 2009, 03:48:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gregsandor

Matt or Oshyan, will you please post a uv template for the built in tgos, particularly the grass clumps and rocks.  The main limitation of the tgo format is that we cannot check uv's ourselves.

dandelO

I don't know if this is correct but I think that's what the 'visualize tex co-ords' node does.
Probably not what you mean, I'm no good at texture mapping so I wouldn't really know.

Oshyan

I'm not sure what you mean by a "UV template". UVs are unique to each object as far as I know. They're created in whatever app you create (or texture) the object in, and are maintained when you convert to TGO.

- Oshyan

gregsandor

They are maintained within the object.  What I want from you is a square image showing the unfolded wireframe so I can create new textures.

Oshyan

I understand that, but to my understanding it's specific to each object.

- Oshyan

gregsandor

This is a great illustration of why I don't like the tgo format.  I cannot open the actual model to access the uv map to create new textures, and you don't understand what I mean when I ask for a template.

The screenshot shows an openGL view on right and the model's uv template on left.  Please provide the templates at 2048 x 2048 px, or post obj versions of the models included with TG so I can do it myself.  If you do the latter Ill post the templates here for anyone else to use too.

Oshyan

I'm sorry, somehow I must have missed that you specified the rock and grass objects up there! I see what you mean now - I thought you wanted some generic template for *all* TGO models. Perhaps now you understand the confusion.

In any case I honestly don't think rock or grass objects *have* UVs. I think they use "world space" mapping, or whatever mapping you choose in the Image Map Shader. If you use UV, though, I don't think it actually has any specific UVs to apply to.

Matt could say for sure, but he won't be available for a few days I'm afraid.

- Oshyan

jo

Hi,

Just to straighten up some terminology...

The grass and rocks are not "TGOs". TGO is a file format for objects created by Planetside which can store TG2 specific information ( i.e. shaders ) along with the vertices etc. The grass and rocks are procedural objects, or at least they are created with code, like the other built in primitives such as spheres. They are not stored in TGO files anywhere. There is a difference between "objects in TG2" and "objects described by TGO files". Objects in TG2 could have come from a myriad of sources, including TGO files. Grass and rocks do not come from TGO files.

Regards,

Jo

arisdemos

I would use a program available wich is essentially a UV mapper, and was readily available for free to obtain. Perhaps someone has the url for this little helper for mapping textures. Of course this "helper" can't be used on the Planetside rocks and grass for the reasons that Jo mentioned. Most models that come from Daz3d, I know come with a free template to assist in changing textures, and thank god because many of their models come with texturing that really sucks.

I noticed an image the other day titled "where the buffalo roam" where the Daz3d buffalo are of very inferior texturing and the realism so inferior that one must use them in only distance shots at the scale of herded ants in the landscape. Because of Daz3d's texturing templates and minimum remodeling additions in 3d Studio Max I was able to get a decent bison that could be used close up. I am currently doing a simular process to the Daz3d antelope and deer models and will shortly begin posting a couple of images with wildlife in TG2 close up mode.

I would like Planetside to give out some sort of manual or documentation giving some illustrated examples of the correct texture settings for basic examples of say some of the free models from Ashundar. I presently often must refer back to a successfull model in the scene to repeat that working set up on any problematic new addition models (not correctly rendering) that I have just freshly generated from Poseray. Texturing in TG2 is a constant nemisis to many more users than just myself, and certainly deserves at least a complete chapter in any educational explantitory text on TG2.

gregsandor

gregsandor

Here's a simple test, image mapped at 1:1.  The texture seems to be applied backwards and the lower left and upper right quadrants have something wrong with them.