Two different hightfeilds

Started by baizewizard, March 30, 2010, 08:07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

baizewizard

Hi Guys

I am trying to create a scene using two different hightfields at different positions.
I want to apply different shaders to the them. I.E. Twist and Shear in different directions.
My problem is whatever I do to one happens to the other. Do I need to work on them separately then combine further down the tree with a merge shader? I've tried this but seem to be going astray somewhere.

Cheers

Primalace

You may need to set the merge shader to use highest (raise) setting under 'Choose by altitude'. So long as your hightfields are in different positions any individual shaders before the merge shader should only affect the one hightfield. I've attached a .tgd to show you.

Henry Blewer

Try a distance shader or two. Set up a camera for each distance shader. Then set the distances to cover just the area of the separate height fields. The different shaders can be chained into the blend by of each distance shader.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

bobbystahr

If your height fields are separate, ie: borders don't touch, you could, in the Top View, paint the terrains with Paint shaders. One shader per terrain and named ter1 and ter2 to make selection easy and then in the blend shader of the Twist and Shear shader Assign the appropriate shaders to the terrains. Then you also have a mask for adding textures later.. ...
Oooops...the Paint shader goes in the Blend shader of a Surface layer, then the T&S shader goes in the Displacement shader of the same Surface layer. One SUrface layer per terrain obviously.. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

bobbystahr

Well  that didn't work when I just tried to make an example so save yourself the effort...sigh...thought I'd done that once.. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Oshyan

The Merge Shader approach should work, or you can use simple square (shape) masks sized to fit your individual heightfields and used as Blend Shader inputs for each respective shading network.

- Oshyan