Cave

Started by neon22, March 01, 2007, 04:31:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neon22

This one's called   "Better Prepared ?"

after seeing Zylot's cave test pic on Ashundar http://www.ashundar.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=3457
- I just had to have a go :-)

Kept on picking away at it and ended up with this.

TG2 grass and a shavegrass TGO. Halberd courtesy Daz (somewhere)
That's an orange light in the tunnel

I wonder what they'll find in there ...

Had some fun along the way with redred blowout - see Support thread

Will

Nice job mate!

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Dark Fire

That's a great image. I would list everything I like about it, but I like everything, so there is no point...

Zylot

Legend, you are a Legend!!!   

Good work, thanks for improving apon my very basic Cave concept!  This is done very well, and is very convincing.  It's also good that the rest of the image got as much attention to detail as the cave itself.

bigben

Great mix of terrain warping.

king_tiger_666

great job . justr need a few more trees maybe to give it some extra atmosphere to the render
<a href="www.hobbies.nzaus.co.nz/">My  Terragen Downloads & Gallery</a>

§ardine

Quote from: king_tiger_666 on March 01, 2007, 05:29:09 PM
great job . justr need a few more trees maybe to give it some extra atmosphere to the render

Might help a bit... but over-all I was impressed with the placement of vegetation in the image.
Well done!

dhavalmistry

a little tip on doing this would be great!!....nice work!  :D
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

old_blaggard

http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

dhavalmistry

"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

neon22

I'm very happy you all liked it - yes the TGD is in the sharing forum and Zylot's thread in Ashundar is the precursor.

I decided against trees because I went for that high desert pass look. So mainly grasses and a little extra with all that water. See the low cloouds in the BG.

Of course the idea is that someone was here before and found it but maybe they didn't bring a torch so this trip they came better prepared. (I prefer making little stories to just beautiful pics.) I expect to find a labyrinth in there one day.

I would have liked to get a character in there just out of sight but casting a shadow from the torch, to flesh out my story a little more - but no time.   Next one maybe...

Fun things to note:
- there is a surface layer in there to make the ground appear wet just above the waterline. Looks so much better with that there. Its probably not the best way to do it either. Didn't have as much control as I would have liked.

- the boundaries of the 'cave' heightfield would be improved a lot more if there were two numbers (x,y) for the border blending in the heightfield shader. You can see my heightfield is much longer than it needs to be so I could try to soften the walls to floor transition  a little. But I wanted more control here. (please Planetside ?)

- the cave roof is the first shader after the compute terrain - it really adds strong features at right angle to the walls. As a result it was difficult to get the scales set up right to make a realistic looking and plausible roof structure. Also it doesn't extend to the top of the hill :-(
   I think another approach here might be to add another terrain above the first, make it invisible then add rocks onto it. But I did not explore this route.

- The most important part of the interface in TGTP is the little +/- buttons above the fractal thumbnail area !
   If you haven't found these - you need to play with them. It all happens here. (and the node tree of course)

- this scene also has 4 cameras - to switch between them you need to select the associated render and then hit the View camera button - twice. :-)

- the cave goes all the way through - the other side deserves a waterfall... (but I have no idea how to make one of those :-))

Thanks everyone for the tips etc in these forums - its all helped immensely

Here's the view from RenderA

Zylot

For above the roof, and below it, your could try adding fake stone shades limited to low slopes as a child of the ceiling displacement limited to the height above the cave roof and the height below it.  This can place rocks in those areas.  Then you can work around smoothing those rocks above the cave to make the landscape more feasable, and the rocks below can be sharpened and shaped as required.

To help with the wet rocks you can throw a reflective shader on that darker texture to help, but that would slow down the render and could crash terragen entirely during the render process ;/

For a fake waterfall, add reflective, and water shaders to a bule 'verticle' or semi verticle and displaced "wall" of rock, and just add a low level lambert shader or a default shader.  You can use a multishader to mix the colors for that "wall" with the reflective and shaping shaders to make it look as liquid as possible.  Probably it'll need to wait till Planetside gives us transulency/transparentcy before it'd look convincing though.

Oshyan

Superb results! Very impressive. :) The feature requests will be considered as time allows, of course.

- Oshyan

rcallicotte

Thanks, neon.  I'm extracting all the knowledge I can from your TGD.  Wow.  Lots of work went into it.  Good job!
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?