Making a beach in TG2

Started by zgrillo2004, April 03, 2010, 09:52:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zgrillo2004

Hi. I just thought of a great idea to make my fist TG render. but the problem is that I have no idea on how to make realistic coastlines with mountains in the middle of the island. does anyone have a tutorial or show me how to do so since I am a noob at this.

Zack

Dune

Welcome, Zack. I'd suggest studying the forum, there's lots of information to be found about what you intend to do. Use the search function on beaches and mountains and islands, and just start fiddling with TG. There's not one way to start, but plenty. Good luck. Upload your first try, and lots of people will comment and help, I'm sure.

zgrillo2004

Thanks. tell you the truth I have an impairment of math so thats why a tutorial would be helpful. and the node system is pretty confusing for me

Dune

I'm not good at maths at all, and I didn't understand one bit of the node system at first, but once you start out with little things, you'll find out... and probably never work in the 'upper left corner' again.

kevnar

I suggest adding a power fractal terrain first. Then add a surfacelayer called "Coast" as a guide. Set the height constraints to between 20 and 0 meters. Then set the slope constraints to between 10 and 0 degrees. Then turn the Use test colour on and zoom way out to find an area of flat wide beach for your coastline.

Keep hitting Random seed on your terrain if nothing suitable is found near 0,0,0. Don't stray too far afield from that point or the calculations get dodgy. Instead, bring the field (or beach) you want to work with to you by hitting random seed on the terrain. It may take a while but it's better than fighting with the numbers later when altitudes and slopes don't match up.

When you find a nice smooth beach, near a mountain, near 0,0,0, then add the water, at an elevation of zero, and shut off your coastline guide. The rest is just mixing colours and textures and placing objects.

PS. It helps to set your camera to 0,2000,0 with a rotation of -90,0,0 when trying to find your beach terrain with the random button. This gives a top down view of the terrain. Once you find a nice beach set it back down near sea level.

kevnar

This is what I came up with, following my above instructions. Is this sort of what you were looking for?

domdib

Nice work Kevnar - a very handy guide to making beaches which I'm sure others (including me) will find useful - might even be worth popping in the wiki. Hope it helps zgrillo2004.

quarkphotonect

Quote from: Dune on April 05, 2010, 02:49:33 AM
I'm not good at maths at all, and I didn't understand one bit of the node system at first, but once you start out with little things, you'll find out... and probably never work in the 'upper left corner' again.
Yup!! I am a noob but slowly I am learning it slowly and what he said here is TRUE!! i slowly spend less and less time up there and more and more time in the node network heheh!!

Virex

There are a bunch of other methods possible as well, depending on what you're going for. One option would be to take a blend shader, plug that into your coastline shader and also into a colour adjust shader. Put that one into the mountain shader and use the colour adjust node to limit the mountains to the center of the island only

Goms

I think one of the "best" ways to get a nice beach is to use a displacement shader with a distribution shader (and the square scalar node) as input and a surface shader.
You just need to adjust the altitudes correctly. ;)
Take a look at this file:

Quote from: FrankB
you're never going to finish this image ;-)