red red render error

Started by neon22, March 01, 2007, 04:48:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

duff

If it's not to be set you can guarentee I'll set it!  ;D

Although I think the one above with the red didn't involve that (or at least the cirus layer with it set was disabled)

AndyWelder

Have this render problem too, but now everything went red..., not just the sky.
The previews rendered at 800x600 and 0.3 detail went fine but the full render at 1024x768 and 0.71875 detail showed nothing but red.
"Ik rotzooi maar wat aan" Karel Appel

rcallicotte

Andy, did you turn off the GI settings - zero them out?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

AndyWelder

Quote from: calico on March 26, 2007, 08:45:45 AM
Andy, did you turn off the GI settings - zero them out?
Nope, I used my "default" value of 5. Why should I cut back on quality?

rcallicotte

Andy, there's a problem with GI.  That's why you see red in your render.  The temporary solution is to cut back on those two GI settings to zero.

AndyWelder

Thanks, calico; I've one running now with GI unchecked.
Still, I don't get it, why we should abandon from a high quality setting....? And I never had this problem with GI at 5, only difference now is the atmo sampling of 64 where it was 32 in my previous renders.

rcallicotte

Do you have raytraced unchecked in your atmosphere and clouds?  That isn't necessary, since it has something to do with shadows coming from the surface up.

Another thing, you might check around about your settings.  Most of these settings don't need to be slammed to get high quality.  For example, I use 16 or 32 for most of my atmosphere settings, while I might go a lot higher for the clouds themselves.  Another one is the render quality.  I never use 1 and usually use .6 for a final render, unless I am making a large render and then I go to .8.  But, I'd bet I couldn't tell you the difference by looking at one with a .8 compared to a .6.  Another setting is the GI setting.  I rarely go over 2.  It just isn't necessary from what I can see.  Then again, because I don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't matter.

Most of this understanding...well, no...all of the understanding I have about this has come from the support staff and many of the end-users like you and me who come here and share their experimentation, etc.  One of the first things we heard about TG2 was the need to be aware that cranking the values to maximum will usually only increase render time and not necessarily make any visible improvements. 

Good luck.