Strata and Outcrops Shader?

Started by joshbakr, March 01, 2007, 09:14:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joshbakr

I performed a search of the Forums and didn't come up with anything on this so here goes. I have been trying to get some natural looking Strata Layers Like those in the Grand Canyon. I'm wondering though if someone would be so kind to explain the purpose and or use of the "Strata Hard Layer Altitude" setting in the Strata and Outcrops Shader?

Thanks!

joshbakr

Quote from: ProjectX on March 01, 2007, 09:47:03 AM
http://www.designpaths.com/terragen-tutorials/terrain-modifications-using-shaders/

scroll down a tad.

Yeah this is part what it says:

Strata and outcrops shader v2 01: This plugin is especially helpful if you are doing a render of a canyon or a sharp cliff. Editing the "Hard layer depth" setting will set how defined the strata is and the "Hard layer steepness" edits how steep the drop is from step to step. "Plateau buildup" doesn't have much of an effect, but it adjusts how flat the very top of the terrain will be. "Hard layer spacing" determines h ow far apart each step is horizontally and "Num octaves" sets how many steps there are. Adjusting the "Strata tilt direction" and "Strata tilt angle" is the main way to get the overhanging terrain as it adjusts how much the strata will tilt in a certain direction.

Thanks for trying but it doesn't mention "Hard Layer Altitude" that I can see? Back to the Drawing Board. :)

joshbakr

Just wondering? Is my question so dumb that nobody wants to offer help or is it that nobody knows the answer to my question? I thought if I could get help anywhere this would be the place.  ???

old_blaggard

I don't think anyone really knows the answer.  I'm sure we would all appreciate it if you did some experimentation yourself and shared the results.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Volker Harun

Intuitivly I would say, it is the height where the strata starts. Anything below has no strata. You could do it as I would. Just give it a try and tell us your results.

joshbakr

No prob, be back later with my findings and example pics.  ;D

joshbakr

Quote from: Volker Harun on March 02, 2007, 12:25:25 PM
Intuitivly I would say, it is the height where the strata starts. Anything below has no strata. You could do it as I would. Just give it a try and tell us your results.

I to had the same thought, but then I thought if you attached the strata to a surface or distribution shader you could control the hgt restrictions from there. Thinking why do we need a setting in the strata shader for
"Strata Hard Layer Altitude"?  Oh well I'll be back later.  Thanks ! :)

MeltingIce

Yea to be honest, I'm not entirely sure what hard layer altitude does.  Experimentation is the best way to find out though  :P

MeltingIce Network | Wii Number: 3881 9574 8304 0277

oggyb

From my experimentation the hard layer appears to be the point ABOVE which there are no strata, i.e., where the plateau build up starts to occur.  However, my deductions may have arisen out of coincidences. :D

M.

Oshyan

dhavalmistry

thanx Oshyan, its very helpfull
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Tangled-Universe

Thanks a lot Oshyan for taking the time to write this down.
It's very useful! Some of the settings I already figured out on my own, but now I know what they really mean instead of having a clue more or less  ;D

Oshyan

You mostly have Matt to thank for writing the original. ;D

- Oshyan

joshbakr

Quote from: Oshyan on March 08, 2007, 10:50:25 PM
You mostly have Matt to thank for writing the original. ;D

- Oshyan

Thanks Matt!   ;D