Making living art for Ipad (kind of NSFW )

Started by Kadri, April 15, 2010, 01:02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadri

I doubt if it does add anything substantial to the magazines , but they would look nicer ! Or distracting  :)
But times are really changing ! They would be useful for scientific descriptions and such .

Be careful there are mild things not so suitable for work.

http://www.itsartmag.com/features/livingart/

FrankB

interesting :)
Although a little bit "too much" for me. I prefer a normal static article, instead of being forced to seeing through all these animations. These were well done, no doubt about that, but I'd rather not have them at all.

This iPad thing.. I want one, but the consumers in the US are buying like crazy which (i heard) will delay availability of it in Europe. Shame. I think, granted I had one, would like to subscribe to my favourite newspaper, which is already available for the ipad. Reading news articles on the ipad is ok, but not so sure about reading books on it. Maybe rather through the amazon kindle.

Frank

reck

I'm still not sure about the ipad. If I have a notebook\netbook, iphone and kindle what would I use the ipad for that I can't do already on the other devices? I've been thinking about the things I could use it for and if I would get any advantage to doing them on the ipad.

Internet
For surfing the internet it's better to use your notebook because you can choose which browser you want to use, you're able to visit flash sites, have add-blocking capability and be able to use browser addons. You can open multiple browsers, see them side by side for comparisons etc.

Email
I don't think email will be too bad on the ipad, but then again when I get an email my iphone tells me and a lot of the time I can quickly send off a simple reply straight off from the phone without having to switch to something else. If I need to write a long complicated email with a lot of text I'm going to want to use a real keyboard so it's back to the notebook. Also what about if you need to email attachments, they will be on the computer right, not the ipad?

Reading
The Kindle uses e-ink which makes the text very clear and easy to read, but it can be a bit laggy and of course it's only in black and white. The ipad has the benefit of a full colour screen though. So the ipad could be quite good for this although I've heard complaints that the ipad is quite heavy and for extended use, like reading it could become uncomfortable.

Work – spreadsheets, word docs etc
If I was having to do some work at home I'd be on the computer, switching between different applications, highlighting, copying, typing, browsing, usb pens, ext hard drives etc All of which works a lot better within Windows or Mac OS rather than iphone OS.

Mobile access
The iphone keeps me connected while I'm out and about, fits in pocket and I can make calls with it.

No user accounts
One big disadvantage for me is that there are no user profiles. We have a notebook at home which any member of the family can pick up, log into and have immediate access to all their files, emails, bookmarks, applications, shortcuts etc. With the ipad there is no such thing as accounts or profiles so you only get one set of browser bookmarks for instance. Apps that require you to login like facebook, twitter, and forums like planetside  ;) etc would require you to constantly keep logging in and out as other people used them.

Apps, the HD money grab.
It's early days yet for apps on the ipad but a disappointing trend seems to have started. For Iphone\ipod touch users you probably already have a lot of useful apps on your device. If you want to then use them on the ipad version you have to buy them again or the so called HD version, unless your happy to stick with the iphone version and use it scaled up. It wouldn't be too bad buying everything again if the price was the same but in some cases apps that cost 99p for the iphone are now £8 or £9 on the ipad so it could end up costing a lot more money. In some cases an increase is justified for instance if more functionality is added, but in other cases the apps work the same way but you end up paying 5 or 6 times the price.

Henry Blewer

It's not everything it has been hyped up to be. By the time you get the apps and the add ons, the beasty becomes a money pit. A guy who works out here at the YMCA brought his in to show me. I had trouble getting him to admit how much he spent on it, $2135.00.

The Hewett Packard Slate looks more promising. It will be running Windows 7.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

FrankB

honestly, I want it for just a few things:

- an internet device I can just "grab" and switch on, and that doesn't have to boot.
- it's really for "couch usage" and browsing
- and I'd like to to subscribe to a few newspapers and magazines, instead of having the paper version delivered

I don't have an iphone, as here in Germany, I personally think it's a great rip-off from the only telco that's allowed to sell it. So I'd like to buy the UMTS version of the ipad, but that will be only available sometime late summer I suppose.

- games? maybe, but probably not.

Frank

Henry Blewer

I have read that the USB is not powered and is only available if you buy a 'kit'. It does not say how it handle FlashDrives. It would be cool to have movies on either devise.

Waiting for Generation 2...
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T