Precipices

Started by choronr, April 15, 2010, 02:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

choronr

If you've ever tried to climb one of these landforms, plan on spending an overnight there.  Hiking progress is very slow with the earth crumbling beneath your feet with almost every step ...fun stuff!
I tried several possible methods for adding the vegetation as populations; but, none would work. So, what you see here are multiple single objects; took some time but I'm pleased with the results.
The following are the models used:

•   Marc McGebhardt's 'Dead Pine' available at NWDA.
•   Walli's Pines available at the Planetside Forum.
•   lightning's bushes - no longer available.

I would appreciate your critiques; thanks,

Bob

domdib

Very nice displacements. It looks like there's a few little bright spots where the renderer had a conniption, but nothing that mild postwork won't remove. Good stuff!

Tangled-Universe

Very good work Bob! Great displacements and nice lighting as well.
What really drops "the rating" of this image a bit for me is the hero tree.
The rest of the image looks so much better than that tree imho.
Do I see correctly you used large fake stones to add additional structures?

Cheers,
Martin

Kadri

It looks like a painting for me , interesting !

Henry Blewer

Try laying the dead pine down, like it fell off the cliff from above. I would not worry about the branches sticking into the ground.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

choronr

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on April 16, 2010, 06:16:15 AM
Very good work Bob! Great displacements and nice lighting as well.
What really drops "the rating" of this image a bit for me is the hero tree.
The rest of the image looks so much better than that tree imho.
Do I see correctly you used large fake stones to add additional structures?

Cheers,
Martin
Hi Martin,

Thanks for your visit and critique. I'm glad you like the image. Four sizes of fake stones were used. Their scales and densities used are as follows:

•   20/0.2
•   8/0.17
•   4/0.13
•   1.2/0.11

Additionally, I added dandelO's cracks file (10M) along with strata and twist and shear to the terrain. In all, there are a lot of possibilities with this combination.

As for the Dead Pine, it could use a bit more variability in connection with the trunk straightness. I used a different texture/color image map depicting a tree destroyed by lightning and fire.

If you like, I can send you the file.

Bob

Henry Blewer

I could probably make something like this; probably not as good... :-[
Except for the pine, it's really and awesome render. Perhaps more dirt for it to stand in?
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

choronr

Quote from: domdib on April 15, 2010, 03:41:33 PM
Very nice displacements. It looks like there's a few little bright spots where the renderer had a conniption, but nothing that mild postwork won't remove. Good stuff!
Not sure if those bright spots are the sun reflecting; or, light coming through the terrain. The later would be a conniption for sure.

choronr

Quote from: njeneb on April 16, 2010, 11:17:36 AM
I could probably make something like this; probably not as good... :-[
Except for the pine, it's really and awesome render. Perhaps more dirt for it to stand in?
Thanks Henry for your comments. What I really wanted to place in the shadowed area was an 'Anasazi Cliff Dwelling Ruin' but couldn't find a model for it. I like your idea for laying the tree down; but, I don't think it has any roots.

MGebhart

Hi Bob,

I think you should 86 the pine. It seems out of place in this scene.

Other than that it's a great render.

Marc
Marc Gebhart