Buis (which is an ancient ship)

Started by Dune, April 20, 2010, 03:38:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

For a commission I needed some ships, so I modeled them. A 'Buis' is a very rounded ship from the later Middle Ages, about 15-20 meters long. Still struggling with the proper mapping, but they're quite ok. This is just a quick setup to see the ship in TG2.

inkydigit

the colour is a bit camoflage like, but the model looks great!(as does the rest of the scene)

Dune

The second is ship is ready; a 'heynst'. I need to do the hull of the 'buis' a lot sharper, so more work to do...

Bluefinger

Okay, overall, the water is really nice. Clouds are decent and so are the rocks. However, with the larger rocks, they could do with a bit of eroded displacement. You'd expect smaller rocks to be pebble like, but once you get rocks of certain size, they become less smooth and what not. The texture on your first ship, the buis, is really muddy and not very well defined. The second ship is much better textured by comparison. The models are good though, just the texture on the first ship that needs a bit of work (if possible).

Also, the direction the cloud is blowing is not the same as the way the sails and the flag are being affected on the two ships. A discerning eye would be able to spot that, but this is just a very minor nitpick. Overall, I'd say the scene is well composed and has good potential. I really do like the water you've set up.

Kadri

Yes , as Bluefinger said the texture looks like it is to small( blurry ) or only with big fractal details .
The second ship textures looks better. I see them nearly as models . I don' know why. Maybe your FOV , camera angle or high ?
But this is maybe me. In some kind of pictures i tend to see this more then the others.

Dune

Yeah, as I mentioned, I need to do the hull of the 'buis' a lot sharper. I also threw a PF over it, but it's too hard.
@bluefinger: good point about the wind direction, although this scene was never intended to be pursued. It's just a little scene I put together to see my ships rendered other than floating above TG2 base colours. About the rocks, I have seen larger smooth boulders here and there, worn by decades of thrashing surf.
@kadri: they probably look like models as there's no size comparison. I need to model a figure on the sailing ship. Probably also because the background is relatively hazy and blurry, so the objects stand out too much, like in 'model photo's' of a city street or so.

Kadri

Quote from: Dune on April 21, 2010, 02:20:04 AM
@kadri: they probably look like models as there's no size comparison. I need to model a figure on the sailing ship. Probably also because the background is relatively hazy and blurry, so the objects stand out too much, like in 'model photo's' of a city street or so.

I think you are right , Dune :)