Planet with seemingly 2 different atmosphere halves

Started by mrwho, March 03, 2007, 05:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrwho

kinda interesting, it's my first planet attempt and I was playing with the atmosphere. I unchecked the 'enable secondary' and part of it changed.

rcallicotte

That is interesting.  Wish we understood that more.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

mrwho

with it checked, the right-half is in shadow, and you can still see the clouds/terrain, but it's still darker than the rest of the planet

rcallicotte

mrwho

yeah, with both checked, it looks like this:

and with the primary unchecked and secondary checked, it looks like this:

Notice that in the image with only the secondary checked, the bluish haze is gone.

rcallicotte

I think I better understand the primary - it's the halo-like appearance we see around Earth.  But, the secondary seems more like it's related to the dark half?  I don't know.  Not sure I understand it yet.  Not sure and need time to play with it.

Oshyan

Providing the example images is very helpful to illustrate, thanks MrWho. :)

"Enable Secondary" controls whether shadows and reflections of the atmosphere are rendered - in a sense the "secondary effects" of the atmosphere. "Enable Primary" controls the main visibility of the atmosphere itself, primarily manifested as haze. So if you disable "secondary", sunsets won't work, and the atmosphere on the dark side of a planet will still be fully lit since the shadows aren't rendered. If you disable "primary" you basically get no atmosphere since the "primary" effect is of course the most visible one.

- Oshyan