Leaving forums, end of resource thread

Started by buchvecny, March 04, 2007, 01:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buchvecny

Hey guyz im stopping my actual thread with tutorials. I wont update in anymore, i wont this forums anymore untill final TG2 is released. The technology preview is too slow and too buggy and its anoying to work with it, however i will return when the TG2 is released. If anyone want to keep my thread going i will be GLAD to share my account with him so he can update the thread.

joshbakr

You and me both! I work on a scene for hrs. and hrs. Save it, come back later to render and get this:
[attachimg=#]

I'll try later if and when the supposed update for bug fixes comes out?

Dark Fire

As I write my own software, I am used to bugs and methods of working around them, so I don't mind T2TP wasting my time. I am sorry to hear that you are leaving buchvecny - all we can hope is that the proper release of TG2 comes as quickly as possible...

rcallicotte

Yeah, this is all part of it.  The release is something everyone wants.

Once it's released, I'm betting the price will skyrocket.  That's why it's fun for me now.  Inexpensive, get time with the developers and main testers, and we're getting to understand a lot of the nuances that likely many won't who start fresh when TG2 starts.  If I'm mistaken, I'll be happily corrected, but I'm willing to suffer a little to get the joy of understanding this program.  Just a different way to look at it.

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

gradient

I stopped using the TP about a month ago....not necessarily because of bugs but just because it's too slow.  The bugs haven't been overly annoying...to me the slow render times were.
I hope that the update will resolve both the bug issues and offer some optimization....I will wait and see.

In fairness to Planetside.....the TP is a free product, it's capabilities are far superior to 0.9xx and I am sure that bug issues will be addressed in due course.

In the meantime, I still frequent this forum to monitor progress.

duff

I completely agree with Calico and Dark Fire.  This is free and does loads of great things.
It may have a few wobbles now and then, but I for one am glad I get to play with it rather than sitting waiting for the final release to come out.

Plus if you think this is slow you should have tried TG back in 98 on a P1!!
Now that was slow, and I was rendering 320 X 240.

gradient

@duff.....
I was running version 0.642 ( if I recall correctly)...on a Dell pentium 90 with 64mb of Ram at one time.

(Actually, I still have that machine...I'll have to start it up again to see...LOL!)

I never had render times even close to the 70 hours experienced with TG2....yes, TG2 is much more feature packed and realistic since those early days......but that comes with a price in the form of long render times....

old_blaggard

I'm sorry to hear you guys are leaving - Planetside is intending to release a bug fix update soon, so I hope that those of you with stability issues will at least give it another chance when it comes out.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

duff

gradient.

Yeah I was meaning given the results it seemed to take hours. The quality we are seeing with TG2 (for some of the more talented anyway  ;) ) is way beyond the simplistic but never the less impressive TG 0.XXX.  The possiblities are all almost endeless and as you rightly point out long render times are the result, but then if you are pushing what is possible that is to be expected. There should be a saying something like "They didn't render Toy Story in a day...."

Having said that there are specific shaders in TG2 that up the render times and I am generally sticking clear of them at the moment (reflective, water, etc...) so generally see render times in the 10 - 20 hour range for a 1024 X 768 render at about .7 quality. Not much different from my inital TG renders at afor mentioned resolution.

*** You had 64 MB !! You lucky man.

nikita

Quote from: joshbakr on March 04, 2007, 02:11:31 PM
You and me both! I work on a scene for hrs. and hrs. Save it, come back later to render and get this:
[attachimg=#]

That's an xml bug - remove any non-ascii-character from the file specified in the error message and it'll work again.
It should be easy to find, since the message even tells you the line where the error occured. Note that the same non-xml-valid name may appear multiple times in the file.

fmtoffolo

I can see how the bugs can bother you. But the render times....i don't know. Of course Tg .9 is going to render much faster. Its like playing a quake 3 in a modern computer. Its going to run smoothly even if you have a built in video card.

Tg 2 is a new software and its going to use all your computer power. Also, if someone expect tg .9 render times with GI, sub pixel displacements, volumetric clouds, reflective shaders i dont wanna know what they expect when sss is implemented, or refractions, or other things that use a lot of computer power....
My Terragenn site
www.cgworlds.com.ar

jo

Hi,

Quote from: joshbakr on March 04, 2007, 02:11:31 PM
[attachimg=#]

Can you email me the file at :

jomeder@planetside.co.uk

There is probably quite a simple error in the XML of the file (I'm guessing not in the XML, but possibly an invalid character was saved in it somehow), so if I have a look I should be able to fix it and it will be interesting to see what the problem is.

Regards,

Jo

gradient

@duff...yeah...I was proud of those 64mb back then...LOL!!!   Staying away from water?....what no guts...or just no time?
@fmtoffolo....hate to keep beating a dead horse here...of course TG2TP renders will take more time because of its advanced features.  The question is...at what point does the quality of the end result render justify the increased render wait time?
Do you feel it's reasonable to wait 70hrs for an 800X600 TG2TP render?  Are you getting that much better an end result than what you could have gotten out of a 2hr 800X600 TG 0.9XX render? 
Is the extra wait worth it to you?....if your answer is yes, then TG2TP is for you.
That's really the decision everyone has to make for themselves.....

Dark Fire

Quote from: gradient on March 04, 2007, 09:46:24 PM
The question is...at what point does the quality of the end result render justify the increased render wait time?
Do you feel it's reasonable to wait 70hrs for an 800X600 TG2TP render?  Are you getting that much better an end result than what you could have gotten out of a 2hr 800X600 TG 0.9XX render? 
Is the extra wait worth it to you?....if your answer is yes, then TG2TP is for you.
That's really the decision everyone has to make for themselves.....
I say YES! To be using software as amazing as TG2 at this stage in development is an extreme privilage - I am immensely grateful to Planetside for letting us experiment with the software and even suggest features and report bugs. In a way, all of the early users are each having a small effect on the quality of the final TG2, although credit has to go to the Planetside team for actually fixing the bugs we find and implementing the features we request...

buchvecny

well so does anyone want to take over my resource thread or not?

to be precise its not only the bugs... the slow render times too its insane i know the full version will be more or less similar (20% speed up or somewhat) but by the time the main version will be released, i will have my dual core (: so its all cool

yea and then i didnt say TG 2 preview is bad. But its a preview (: